Dead fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I've got a 38g 4ft long tank with 2 dwarf gouramis, 5 harlequin rasboras, 6 black phantom tetras, 8 cardinal tetras and 6 sterbai corys, about 2 weeks ago I woke up to a dead black phantom which had no eyes left? Now today I woke up and found one of my rasboras dead with the same, no eyes. Any ideas on what could be causing this?? Im happy with my tank and don't want to lose any more fish.

Have you tested the water? The no eyes thing might just be from the other fish eating off them after they died.

Aqua315 said:
Have you tested the water? The no eyes thing might just be from the other fish eating off them after they died.

Yeah I test every Wednesday, everything was fine when I checked on Wednesday ammo 0ppm nitrite 0ppm and nitrate was 10-20ppm. I did think it could be the other fish pecking at them when there dead, I just don't understand why there dying in the first place.

I had an issue with black phantoms actually aggressively attacking my neons and cardinals. I lost 9 fish all together before I caught the phantoms in the act, I say ditch them and get something else. Thankfully petland has a trade in policy. I really miss my cardinals

Chronos313 said:
I had an issue with black phantoms actually aggressively attacking my neons and cardinals. I lost 9 fish all together before I caught the phantoms in the act, I say ditch them and get something else. Thankfully petland has a trade in policy. I really miss my cardinals

If anyone I think it's the gourami, he's become a right bully, my black phantoms just swim round together minding there own business, the smaller black phantom actually schools with the rasboras at times. Gonna keep an eye on things, and if things don't get better the gourami is gonna go.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Could be the gouramis. They attack smaller fish when they get territorial and eat out the eyes.

I think you could be right, I've seen him swimming Into the side of my corys, makes me want to stick my finger in the tank and poke him back see how he likes it hahaha. Gonna keep an eye on him, don't want to lose anymore fish.

I think you could be right, I've seen him swimming Into the side of my corys, makes me want to stick my finger in the tank and poke him back see how he likes it hahaha. Gonna keep an eye on him, don't want to lose anymore fish.

Yup, I'd agree, I had to get rid of my gourami for this reason. Good luck!

JoeBob said:
Yup, I'd agree, I had to get rid of my gourami for this reason. Good luck!

That confirms it then, he's a goner :( now I gotta choose a fish to replace him. Thanks everyone.

:huh:Now that makes me wonder if my DG killed my little angel. I never saw any aggression, but it just doesn't make sense for such a healthy looking fish that was eating and acting perfectly normal the night before die overnight.

It's definitely the dwarf gouramis I had them in my old community tank and most days I would waken up to dead fish so I bought a new tank and did the cycle and started that tank up and it went great until I put the gouramis in it and once again things were dying so I had to get rid of them sorry for your loss on all ur other fish

Reygan2 said:
:huh:Now that makes me wonder if my DG killed my little angel. I never saw any aggression, but it just doesn't make sense for such a healthy looking fish that was eating and acting perfectly normal the night before die overnight.

Yeah I think the worst of the bullying happens at night, I woke up yesterday to my female hardly moving and one of her feelers missing :( and a few red sores where he constantly swims into the side of her, I had to bag him up when I seen what he done, just to give her a break and to kinda teach him a lesson.

dennywright said:
It's definitely the dwarf gouramis I had them in my old community tank and most days I would waken up to dead fish so I bought a new tank and did the cycle and started that tank up and it went great until I put the gouramis in it and once again things were dying so I had to get rid of them sorry for your loss on all ur other fish

There's such nice fish 2 it's a shame they can't get along :( ill hopefully have more luck with a pair of angels :)

Steo the great said:
gouramis are my least favorite fish in the entire ocean
lol
:facepalm:

Lol I think there my least favourite now 2 lol especially after seeing what the male i had done to the female gourami. :(

Back
Top Bottom