Deciding to finally upgrade! Any tips or advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
So right now I have a 10g with
3 platys
1 dwarf gourami
1 guppy
1 ADF.
It has a 10g HOB filter and a 10g Aqueon internal filter.

Right now I'm cycling a 3.5g to house the ADF since he has difficulty eating due to the other fish eating all the food before he gets a chance. Once that finishes cycling, we're planning on buying a 20 gallon and want to get rid of the 10 as we still have limited space in our apartment. We already have the proper stand for the 20g. What we want to do is directly transfer all substrate, plants, and decor as well as both filters to the 20g as well as the fish. The filters should allow for a quicker cycle, and I also want to buy 10lbs more gravel. Any tips or advice for a successful upgrade?

Siphon as much of the original water out of the 10 leaving the muck behind. Put most of that water in the new tank. Put all the decor to one side in the new tank to keep it wet. Take some of the water and put the fish in it while you deal with moving the substrate. With the little bit of water you have left in the tank and some fresh Prime treated water rinse the substrate well. Then move it to the new tank and get everything arranged. Fill the tank with Prime treated water. Use a drip to acclimate the fish in their bucket for a while before you add them to the tank. When they have had a chance to adjust to the large water change then introduce them to their new home. If you keep everything wet and do not use straight tap water you will most likely avoid a cycle.

Honestly I would do exactly what TMaier said and then turn your old tank into a sump for your new tank but that's really stepping it up. You could run the filter you have now while you build the sump it's really not hard and so much better. I like having a refugium for little ones and such plus it's under the display out of sight and you already have a tank so.... a tube of caulking, a few acrylic baffles, some needlepoint screen, filter media and a pump. You might be able to use the pump you already have and just run the HOB by itself during construction. I just can't go back to external filtration it's so much more customized with a sump system. I wish I'd done it sooner

Thank you! I have actually never heard of a sump before. I just googled it and that looks like an amazing idea but quite a project. I was thinking about turning it into a QT for adding new ones to the 20g until it's fully stocked. When I get a house someday I'll probably look into a bigger project like that, seems like I learn something new every day with this hobby. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom