Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The CO2 line splitter turned up (that was the good news). Unfortunately the barb in the end is too large and back to the drawing board :(. Lucky it was cheap.

The CO2 line splitter turned up (that was the good news). Unfortunately the barb in the end is too large and back to the drawing board :(. Lucky it was cheap.

The perils of fish keeping.

The amount of redundant equipment I have lying around because it wasn't suitable for its intended use is ridiculous. Sending things back is such a chore!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The perils of fish keeping.

The amount of redundant equipment I have lying around because it wasn't suitable for its intended use is ridiculous. Sending things back is such a chore!

Lol - yes, it's not worth sending back so just goes into another drawer. So near and so far with that one. I was thinking I could cut the barb off but probably not worth the bother.

I guess I should clean out the drawers one day. I still have leftover gel capsules for diy root tabs that I hardly do anyone.

Switched off the co2 injection so I can see if the drop checker changes colour.

Do you know how long it should take for a drop checker to change from higher co2 to lower co2??

I think the CO2 drop checker solution I have isn't working but would be handy to check. To me there is hardly any colour change? On the weekend I'll shift the drop checker closer to the CO2 injection point.

CO2 off for 12 hours.
74564-albums14484-picture70367.jpg

CO2 on for 2 hours. I've looked at this drop checker a few times now at different times during the day and it just all looks green to me.
74564-albums14484-picture70368.jpg

74564-albums14484-picture70369.jpg

When I had lots of limnophila and ludwigia repens at the surface and flow was impeded I got lots of algae. The algae formed around the bubble of the dropped checker and blocked adequate gas transfer in to the checker. The checker just stayed green all the time.

I haven't used a drop checker for a few weeks. After I culled the two aforementioned plants I thought things would improved (limnophila is a terrible weed) but it didn't. The plants looked sad so I upped co2 and they are happy again ?

A few drop checker solutions were given to me over the week so I'm going to try them on the weekend.

But the rest of the family is going camping mid-week next week. So 'thinking' about getting half a dozen Java Ferns into the left side of tank. Then pulling out stem plants as the ferns grow.

Still to sort out a co2 line splitter. Going to try micro-brewery places on the weekend.

A few drop checker solutions were given to me over the week so I'm going to try them on the weekend.

But the rest of the family is going camping mid-week next week. So 'thinking' about getting half a dozen Java Ferns into the left side of tank. Then pulling out stem plants as the ferns grow.

Still to sort out a co2 line splitter. Going to try micro-brewery places on the weekend.

Quite a sacrifice to try the micro breweries... :dance: lol

~~~~

Smart aesthetically but also practically, I have heard of mini cycles when removing large amounts of plant matter, had something of that nature happen to me but was a rather small tank. It is pretty amazing how great a job the plants do on processing the tank.

Co2art.co.uk sell line splitters but I don't know if they ship to aus

Co2art.co.uk sell line splitters but I don't know if they ship to aus

Many thanks, I'll check them out. All the brewing shops stock gear for 6mm but I now know I need 4mm airline so any ideas welcome. Off to the fish shop tomorrow to look at plants :) Had to tough it out in the micro-breweries and stay focussed.

Last edited:
Done :) Ordered. Many thanks for the link. The postage is so cheap!

Also found a cheap line splitter on ebay so ordered that just in case as well.

I'm not sure on line size, maybe it is meant to be quarter inch or sometime back in 1950 we got the first delivery wrong and it's been like that ever since :( . I thought brew shops and fish shops would all carry the same stock as the CO2 bottles are exactly the same but apparently not the case.

Done :) Ordered. Many thanks for the link. The postage is so cheap!

Also found a cheap line splitter on ebay so ordered that just in case as well.

I'm not sure on line size, maybe it is meant to be quarter inch or sometime back in 1950 we got the first delivery wrong and it's been like that ever since :( . I thought brew shops and fish shops would all carry the same stock as the CO2 bottles are exactly the same but apparently not the case.

Woop. Glad I could help.

Been busy :) Veeerrry busy.

After pruning the tank on the weekend, I ended up pulling out most of the plants on the left side last night and just left the red alt. Replaced the plants with java fern and some other stem plants up the back. Kind of tempted on a sword plant up the back left side still. If the stem plants don't work, I'll do that.

Need to tweak new plants tomorrow night to slightly lift a few plants and sink a few others. Also added a heap of clay root tabs so I better check the ammonia tonight.

I'm not sure how this will go - looks a bit odd at the moment. I'd love to have the java fern with red stem plants growing between it on this side. Maybe a foot high. Oh and no algae. I know these plants will grow so hopefully just needs time to get closer to the light and to be honest I'm just fed up with pruning the stem plants (mutter, mutter).

74564-albums13177-picture70375.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70376.jpg

I've been playing with plants.. In a newbie kind of way tho - im not spending much.

Sorry to hear you lost a few highly valued ones.

Here's my preggie guppie tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468327937.779910.jpg

There is such a thing as too happy plants. Lol

Thanks! It got a severe clean. The back of the tank was just about too dense for the angelfish to get through. Much more open now.

Totally agree on the plants being a little to enthusiastic. The val is getting impossible as well but it's too hard to get to the centre of the tank.

Just saw the bumblebee catfish come out. Must of scratched himself on an ornament somewhere. Gave him a lecture that he is getting too fat (as he scoffed an algae wafer and went back into hiding). So glad I bought a fish I see for several minutes only a day :)

The CO2 line splitter is on it's way. Plus a possible cheap one just in case. Fingers crossed! The lfs thought they could do a special order if all else fails.

Ha ha I bet bumblebee hid cos he didn't like to hear a lecture..

Good luck with your new CO2 splitter (I'm assuming it blends the gas to diff concentrations?)

Ha ha I bet bumblebee hid cos he didn't like to hear a lecture..

Good luck with your new CO2 splitter (I'm assuming it blends the gas to diff concentrations?)

Lol :) Needs to go on a diet for sure.

Pretty much as you say. I want to run 2 co2 lines off one bottle to have a co2 diffuser at either end of the tank. So I've had to get a splitter that has good needle valves to control delivery concentration or pressure to either co2 diffuser. That's the theory, still to get it set up :)

Many thanks, I'll check them out. All the brewing shops stock gear for 6mm but I now know I need 4mm airline so any ideas welcome. Off to the fish shop tomorrow to look at plants :) Had to tough it out in the micro-breweries and stay focussed.

What about drip line irrigation connections, don't know but wondering if that could be a possible solution. I need a 90 degree elbow for a line I have to mount a clover shaped sponge filter - vertically instead of horizontally, that's what I will be looking for next as lfs don't have any.

Back
Top Bottom