Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I’ll definitely stick with pulling all the gravel and ornaments out. Maybe get some weights for some plants. I think I have some still. I guess I could pot some but might be a lot of work.

Remove the smaller canister, put lube on o-rings and put away. Keep larger canister going and maybe the internal filter.

Look at trading back or something the spanner barbs and that bumblebee catfish I never see. That catfish must have a huge bio load now on tank but I’ve never worried too much as plants consume everything.

Sounds like a solid plan, if you don't get that much enjoyment out of the fish, I mean you have got to enjoy him previously, maybe someone else would like to add him to their group and he would be able to have even better experience :)

Later on when you get settled, check out the Green Dragon Ancistrus long fins if you can get ahold of them. They are great looking fish.

They do look nice.

I’m very tempted on the kuhli loaches but I guess will see.

Replaced the CO2 bottle so just have to hook it back up.

Oh, and the parcel did ship to Australia, couldn’t get delivered for some reason so is on its back to US [emoji35]

Han is great. I’ll pass across a P.O. box and he will try resending. Was wondering where my TDS meter went!

Postage re-sent. Fingers crossed! It’s travelling more than I am. [emoji35]

Re-connected CO2 bottle re-fill and no leaks we could hear. But one of the CO2 diffuser’s has a stopped impeller so pulling that apart on the weekend. Hopefully it comes good.

CO2 Diffuser working again (although must check tonight). This one pulls in a lot of plant debris (bad spot, really needs shifting).

Something has been eating the Anubias for sure. About half a dozen new leaves gone. Does save pruning it I guess... I wish the java fern and bolbitis would also get done as these have really gotten over-grown now. Maybe next week I’ll find the scissors.

CO2 Diffuser working again (although must check tonight). This one pulls in a lot of plant debris (bad spot, really needs shifting).

Something has been eating the Anubias for sure. About half a dozen new leaves gone. Does save pruning it I guess... I wish the java fern and bolbitis would also get done as these have really gotten over-grown now. Maybe next week I’ll find the scissors.

Never heard of fish eating Anubias, I wonder who's grazing on it. And wouldn't it be convenient if you could get a fish to "trim" a plant for you!

There’s a thought! I could hire them out :)

Must be the spanner barbs - it was growing quite nicely before that. Worse than puppies...

Yes, these barbs really remind me of puppies (well on the destructive side). They are getting a decent size too. I’m used to the compressed angelfish but these are such a solid fish.

Package from US sent again. I think I’m more excited on the TDS meter now.

Holidays in two weeks so planning to start pulling out the gravel, ornaments and shut down one canister filter. So far the stem plants are floating around ok. Probably have to buy some 5 gallon buckets to store the gravel - maybe 4, it’s pretty thick in tank.

I had a look and seems to match an ISTA product. I know the solenoid is ISTA so could make sense. I think they only last a few years but one local was using his for 4 years.

Just got to soak them in storage solution and anti-algal solution once a month. Maybe calibrate once a year or check it anyways. Else pretty convenient.

I had a look and seems to match an ISTA product. I know the solenoid is ISTA so could make sense. I think they only last a few years but one local was using his for 4 years.

Just got to soak them in storage solution and anti-algal solution once a month. Maybe calibrate once a year or check it anyways. Else pretty convenient.
Thanks so much.

I have read about using them, but not any of my locals have one.

Just the other night looking through some info about TDS, mineral redux, and other things that some facets of the science details start to blur for me. But one part of the tank health weighed heavily with correct size and powered UV. Mentioned that using a pH probe was an item which merited more use because TDS is not a complete picture of tank /water composition.

I need to check into a few more things to make testing easier.

I'm far from an expert, but it's definitely harder to find pH probe solenoids.

Ah, probably helps here that only a few shops deal with high tech tanks and they tend to go with ph probes. And I guess tend to go with shop until figure it out better. Plus after the cost of the gas cylinder, nothing else is too bad lol.

Since the spouse is a welder, we're able to get industrial rates on my 20 gallon tank. It's $34 to fill.

I'm curious how difficult it would be to convert our timer solenoid to pH responsive.

On mine I have the PH probe which goes to about a hand sized controller that displays ph value (inaccurately accurate to 2 decimal places). I can set a low ph cutoff point on that and it controls the solenoid - so I guess some way to read the ph probe? I bought the whole lot as a package.

Back
Top Bottom