Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Auction night last night. Anubias went for high prices so gave up - will try treating mine with H2O2 for BBA. Bought more South American cichlids (sigh - bidders card goes up by itself).

Cherry shrimp were scratched so got ninja shrimp and dragging a tank out of shed tonight [emoji4]

Shattered, settling fish in at 11.30pm last night. [emoji6]

And tank prices are just insane here. $130 for some basic 30 or 40 litre tank, not even rounded edges or low iron, etc, etc.

Got a 6 gallon / 25 litre tank out and onto kitchen bench. Takes up more room than I thought but ok. Guppies, shrimp and plants I was given have gone into there.

Whoo hoo!

That is too bad about the Anubias. We get them at the lfs as emersed growth and they take to the in water transition quite well from the ones I have bought. After having my flaming plug situation, I missed getting to purchase a few bigger plants, Anubias and most desired the wonderous Bolbitis. I did get a tiny mini / baby Bolbitis, 2 tiny plants. What I needed was a couple huge ones!!!

That is pretty disappointing that the regular tanks are so expensive, not to mention how much the fancy ones would be!

How do the Guppies and shrimp seem to be doing together?

Good question! I think the shrimp were getting too much attention from larger guppies :( tidied up and shifted larger guppies and plants to bigger tank. Left moss and some fine leaf plant in tank for guppy fry and shrimp. Bit of plant debris floating but I figure shrimp food.

Found my old light on top of cupboard and added that (taped off more led lights so not too strong). Just need to get a timer for light now. Ordered some substrate which will take a week or so. So setup and next auction will hopefully get cherry shrimp. That was a great idea to do a simple shrimp tank.

It’s really too much for 5 bits of glass glued together and basic black rims :( Would love it if they sold tanks a bit cheaper as then they would get more people buying all the rest of the stuff.

Have you thought of making your own tank, plenty of how-to videos???? Skip the rims. and be super cool, lol :brows: Still missing shrimp at my place, maybe this next weekend. I have been having a couple issues with my Guppies and my pH was falling too low. That kept me too busy and the temps were really freezing to order them, but this next week I think. (Fingers crossed)! Hoping you find some good shrimp.

It’s pretty tempting to try.

Been a bad week to finish - bacterial infection. Dosed triple sulpha and left over furan 2 plus left over metro/prazi past expiry date. Mainly damage control. Plus melafix as well.

Found lots of tiger barbs hiding up back. Missing tail fins completely or abscess in side. Think I disposed of them all except one that has a white tip on tail fin else looks fine and swimming with pack.

Annoyingly lost a bn catfish and blockhead cichlid from I suspect the melafix [emoji20]

Hoping it’s over and fish / plants ok now.

About the same this morning - one tiny tiger barb to keep an eye on and still watching the barb with suspect tail finage. Else seems ok. Will check tonight.

Squirted H2O2 on BBA on one Anubias to try it out. BBA fizzed so hoping it kills that and Anubias is tough. But was going to ditch it so nothing lost I guess.

Small tank going fine with a few shrimp and guppy fry. Ordered soil substrate.

I've never had melafix work. I think it's snake oil.

It seems that if the fish has tail damage or fin rot from poor conditions it will heal fairly quickly with larger water changes....50% frequently. if it's bacterial fin rot it will continue to deteriorate no matter the water changes and requires meds. Hopefully yours is just damage.

So sorry to hear of all the troubles. Very frustrating when getting fish which have developing issues.

The very good water quality is always a big plus. I always recommend Epsom Salts (always, lol!)

It is a wonderous time when there aren't any sick fish in the house.

True, is nice when tank is humming along.

yeah, they went downhill quick too although previous week didn’t take much notice of tank as rushed weekend, then auction night. I’m guessing either the warmer weather although well into spring or coincidentally I had been dosing high glut to see if did anything to BBA (which it didn’t sigh).

I agree on melafix - it’s pretty hopeless really. Tough life if you are a fish.

7f2514f1bb7dbc8f07f911983f3b667f.jpg

Bolbitis damage I reckon from the furan 2 (maybe). Be in about the right spot. Should bounce back - failed to kill it for several years now [emoji4] can see the leaves going white/off-green/brown around healthy green leaves. Been getting worse over last few days and I’ve not dosed high micro ferts or anything.

In my experience, it's always best to source aquariums locally. Moving sales are a great place to start looking.

Came across a note not to use furan2 with live plants sigh. The bolbitis continues to decline. Think I’ll buy some more plants this weekend. I’m still hoping some will bounce back. From memory last time the plants just stopped growing and gradually withered away.

9054da090974b5b7096fd363b5c32e08.jpg

Recently I got a couple bags of these on clearance 50% off. 2.5 lbs./1.13 kg. each.

They have been used for terrariums, vivariums and (I used them also for) Orchids - and I have heard for tanks, though I haven't seen how they were used.

Last week I used an inch or 2 / 2.5-5 cm, in the bottom, when I made up some starter cultures for the Powder Orange Isopods and the Springtails. Also 3 inches / 7.5 cm, in building their new 3G jar habitat. edit: they went into the bottom like a false bottom.

But not yet for the aquarium. I read they can float:confused:

https://zoomed.com/hydroballs/

Last edited:
That was noted locally as well - floating plant bed??! I might go along to shop to check out as not far away.

I also wondered how well it would hold stem plants newly planted. I think I got 6 bundles of stem plants into tank on weekend and flourite / etc is mostly holding them well. Just one clump coming out but substrate not very deep.

The type I have are maybe 4 varied sizes of balls in combination. The combination of sizes is good to keep some space between them but not much. Also, I have seen the bags for large use hydroponic, all the same size.

What kind of plants did you put in?

As for the Bolbitis, I would trim off heavily damaged leaves. Hope it stays alive.

Back
Top Bottom