Delta Blue Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtoZ Cichlids

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey We got in a ton of bettas today at work and I saw a blue and black delta with white pectoral fins listed for 25$, I managed to get him home for 5$ plus a half barrel 1 gallon bowl for him whilst I set up a 29gallo bowfront. Im unsure of how I should make his bowl look for the meantime. Im willing to spend some money even if its shortly temperary but I need ideas on substrate and decor. Heres what I had laying around for now but what colors should I do in this bowl?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387431469.381841.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387431485.724864.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387431510.903337.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387431521.689981.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387431539.025022.jpg

but blue or black might drown it out right? I think whit would be killer ! To bring out the small white tips on his P Fins... But probably not... I dont know if I like red or orange substrate, but its whatever makes the fish pop!

I personally like a natural substrate. I was thinking red or orange plants/decor. I agree black and blue would mute the colors. I generally prefer a black background but in this case a different color may be beneficial. Depends on how natural you want it to look. A white substrate would be nice though.

I want a natural look! absolutely. Here are my other two bowls! I want it to be completely different so I think natural stones or gravel somewhat like what is currently in there. I might be able to do a live plant but I dont want to on this one I dont think. Here are my others.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387435018.842623.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387435168.058963.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387435220.616317.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387435274.001205.jpg

Do you have them heated and filtered?

Slightly heated... I run a small room heater at night to keep my goldies and my crested geckos at a nice temp. it definently helps alot! Filtered? no. I do water changes every 2 days... They are 1 gallon.

Slightly heated... I run a small room heater at night to keep my goldies and my crested geckos at a nice temp. it definently helps alot! Filtered? no. I do water changes every 2 days... They are 1 gallon.

Whats the water temp? If you could, it would be cool to updrade to a divided 20 long. You could put a sponge filter and heater in there.

I agree that a betta needs a temp of 80 degrees to thrive. Changing 100 percent of the water every 2 days is a must if you insist on not having a filter.

My beta lived in a 5 gallon planted tank for 3 years before passing. He was happy and active to his last days.

yes I understand all of this...
What decor should i do?

I'm all for natural gravel or sand and live plants.
If I use fake , I use Silk plants ( less liable to shred fins).

I can't use orange. Green plants or natural looking red. For me it's gotta look natural as possible.

I do use a bridge in most of my Betta set ups as they love to sleep under them.

Yea thats kinda what I was thinking. Im looking for a natural gravel but I could do some cheesy decor on this one if id like it or maybe wood/rock or even plants. Im dealing with a live plant in this bowl. But what would leave the bowl as open as posible and bring out the fishs colors best? Rock? Wood? Plant? Decor? Id have to goto petco or petsmart for the decor as we dont sell that stuff at work lol! Thanks for the opinions so far!

So I brought home some substrate that we use in our planted aquariums at work. I love it. We have bettas and assassain snails, and some of them have some tetras or hatchets in the planted sale tanks and I like the look of the assassain snails on the substrate. Should I grab one of those or a 1 inch bristle nose pleco? Or is there something else I could try in this bowl? also would it be okay to keep the pleco or snail in this bowl? Even with frequent water changes and no algea growth? I found some old decor that I wasnt useing anymore so I put that in the bowl and scaped the substrate to form a hill around this tree stump that I tilted a bit at an angel. How does it look? I plan on getting a little reading led light that you would just clip to your book an use one of those for this bowl. Heres some pics!

No other fish in the bowl! Maybe a small snail, but I don't like seeing bettas in bowls... Especially since they aren't heated or filtered...

No other fish in the bowl! Maybe a small snail, but I don't like seeing bettas in bowls... Especially since they aren't heated or filtered...

Okay, Once again.... This is temparary. Im establishing a 29 gallon heavily planted bow front. Just chill, Hes fine for now. Also, may I inform you as to where these fish are found in the wild?

Murky, Dirty, Nasty, Unstable, Cramped, Harsh, Infested, Rice Patties... I think hes okay in a pristine bowl for a while. Please, get off my back.

Okay, Once again.... This is temparary. Im establishing a 29 gallon heavily planted bow front. Just chill, Hes fine for now. Also, may I inform you as to where these fish are found in the wild?

Murky, Dirty, Nasty, Unstable, Cramped, Harsh, Infested, Rice Patties... I think hes okay in a pristine bowl for a while. Please, get off my back.

I'm not "on your back". Just simply giving you my opinion. Will you still be keeping the other two in bowls?

Also regarding your statement...
Here is a post from another forum. I do not wish to start an argument, just inform. Are you sure the water in your bowl is absolutely pristine?

Okay, folks, after a research breakthrough and reminiscing of memories on how I often see people suggest to use vases and bowls for bettas considering "they live in tiny mud puddles", I decided to crash this myth in an effort to put a stop on what we call betta abuse simply by placing them in a container with no heater, no filter, etc at all. I've read plenty of books and discovered there is a lot more than what you see on a betta. It has always been a misconception that bettas live in mud puddles. Everytime I see people saying this, I keep thinking to myself "Is this possible?" Even the mud puddles dug by animal hooves would be quite horrible for a betta.
shake.gif
What were those labyrinths for?

Before I go further, please note there are several betta species more than you can think of distributed around Asia, however, the human developments have seriously depleted their habitats with some species already lost and feared extinct.

While roaming around on forums for possible summaries, I discovered this paragraph (I don't own a lot of books however I do spend plenty of time in bookstores but I cannot copy every important bit without purchasing the said books which are expensive.)

Information is taken from Labyrinth Fish: The Bubble Nest Builders written by Horst Link and published by Tetra in 1991.

"In my opinion, the natural distribution range is very much smaller than had been supposed until now and is, in fact, restricted to central, western, and northern Thailand...Betta splendens lives in paddy fields and associated ditches, in marshes and flooded grass pits and in the klongs (canals) of the residential parts of towns and villages. At different times of the year, they may be very numerous."

A very important advice...
The view that fighting fish often live in mudholes and therefore can be kept in such conditions is not really tenable. The fish will exhibit their full finery in a well-established, balanced aquarium and it is only under such conditions that their keeper will be able to appreciate their beauty at its best

So the questions now are..
What exactly is a klong?
A picture is worth a hundred words.
Klong of Thailand
0038%20-%20Bangkok%20-%20Klong%20by%20boat.JPG

What paddy field are we talking anyway?
Is this really a mud puddle? Is it really small?

2yy4fir.jpg

What is your conclusion on the whole?
Going to back to the above, I've shared to you my thoughts. Now to answer the question, What were those labyrinths for?, this doesn't mean all anabantids can live in mud puddles as previously suggested by several people but this means it allows them to survive in warm, shallow, slow moving waters with very low oxygen levels.

So like other fish, we should treat the bettas with great care. Efficient filter, heater, etc just like what other tropical fish deserve.

While betta's may live in small territories, they are still large bodies of water. For example, in a 10'x10' klong, they may have a 1'x1' territory, but they still have the large body of water to keep their territory clean. We also need to take into account that wild bettas are much different than domestic bettas. Lastly, if they (wild bettas) do live in small bodies of water, it is just for the dry season, and not their whole life.

Common myths:
Wild bettas live in tiny mud puddles and thus do not require clean water or space.
Bettas prefer tightly confined spaces and will "freak out" or die in larger containers.
A cup or bowl is the ideal habitat of a betta.
Bettas do not require heating or filtration.
Betta Care 101 - Myth vs. Reality Page 1

And lastly, a nice big rice paddy for you to see.
wjawih.jpg

Again, not trying to start an argument, but too many people think that bettas will be fine in little bowls because of the 'tiny, dirty, 'infested', unstable, cramped, harsh, murky (which is actually from tannins, and those are good!), dirty, and nasty rice patties.

Back
Top Bottom