Demasoni?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got-to-love-Chiclids

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was thinking about getting some demasoni's but I would like to know how to sex em diet? Behavior? Experiences with them and so on. Any help would be helpful thank you.

To be honest you are better buying dems in a group of at least 10 they can be right and nasty, and don't be surprised if one or two gets bumped of

Hmmmm nasty how? And how would they be if I threw them in with cichlids?

Dems are cichlids, I love my dems. They live with 6 labs, there were 10 dems at the begining, I lost 4 to bloat and 1 to my skimmer box. They chase and nip, and i know they will get mean as they grow. I will put several in when I can get some the same size. I have had low aggression in my tank so far. Lots of hiding spots, I keep the lights down during the day. They also were all put in together when they were small. The dems seem to keep the chasing and nipping conspecific for the most part. They are really beautiful fish.

you can vent them to sex them. Malawi Cichlids, Malawi Species Profiles, African Cichlids, Lake Malawi, Malawi Forum, Tanks, Articles, Books, Videos

demasoni are very aggressive, territorial fish, they wont do 'just thrown in' with cichlids, they HAVE to be compatible or able to stand up for themselves, or they get harrassed/killed.
they need 1m to 3f ratio.
diet can be cichlid flakes, pellets, feeders (for bulk not nutrients), peas etc
they breed from a very early age, smaller than a lot of cichlids that get to their size. i have personally seen a 1.5in demasoni holding, no joke.

they are a beautiful fish to get though, and have so much personality. can i ask what else u have in the tank? xx

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
you can vent them to sex them. Malawi Cichlids, Malawi Species Profiles, African Cichlids, Lake Malawi, Malawi Forum, Tanks, Articles, Books, Videos

demasoni are very aggressive, territorial fish, they wont do 'just thrown in' with cichlids, they HAVE to be compatible or able to stand up for themselves, or they get harrassed/killed.
they need 1m to 3f ratio.
diet can be cichlid flakes, pellets, feeders (for bulk not nutrients), peas etc
they breed from a very early age, smaller than a lot of cichlids that get to their size. i have personally seen a 1.5in demasoni holding, no joke.

they are a beautiful fish to get though, and have so much personality. can i ask what else u have in the tank? xx

I have a bleekereye a yellow lab 3 Kenyi and a aeratus only one male in the tank Kenyi and an albino Pleco then thos 2 demasoni's

the yellow kenyi is the only male? x

i agree - you have a bomb preparing to go off, but u r doing well if they arent arguing so far :) can you try to vent the demasoni, so u r sure, and give us measurements in inches for each fish? xx

got-to-love-Chiclids said:
No they are actually doing vary well together

I sure hope they continue to do well, but fear that as they get to feeling the urge to mate...well....need I continue? Keep an eye on them and good luck!

Mentality of the cichlid is really hard to determine. Sometime they are peaceful, sometimes they are not. It's a gamble but experience says time bomb due to personalities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say and that's not being rude or giving poor advice. Everything in this hobby seems like trail by fire at times. The advice here has helped me so maybe someone will come along and explain from their experience!

even in a bigger tank, actually that could make it worse. if they are able to claim territories, they are very mean and will kill invaders (if they are nasty personality). or they will bob happily along no fuss(nice personality, rarer). demasoni should really be in an overstocked tank imo so they dont claim territory, it keeps aggression down.

how many males of everything do u have in the tank?
how many females? xxx

They are all female except for the male Kenyi these are all baby's there is a lil chasing but that's it the bleekereye I don't see a hump yet and he is 2 inches or so so I'm guessing female

The time bomb reference is a reference to the fact that you have three different species of very aggressive cichlids in one tank, all of whom (once they mature ~ which could take a couple years depending on species) will typically try and dominate the entire tank. Generally speaking, once they start establishing territories they become very aggressive to each other and start beating each other up (they don't typically exhibit much aggression when they are immature). When this happens, if they do not have enough hiding places or there are not enough cichlids in the tank to spread the aggression around (as mouthbrooder fanatic suggested), then they start dying.

Unlike humans, fish do not have feelings or care about each other as we do. So the fact that they were raised in the same tank as another cichlid makes very little difference to them.

Also, FYI if we're still talking about that 46gal tank, when you're talking about cichlids (especially the species you have), that doesn't qualify as a "bigger tank". Perhaps you have another larger tank you are referencing?

Back
Top Bottom