Denison Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayanearth

Aquarium Advice Activist
At the LFS they are selling Denison Barbs for 6 dollars, is this a deal that I should take advantage of. I have a 70G tank with neons rainbow fish andan angel I am also planning to get some Bolivian rams. Could I safely keep Denison Barbs also?
Thank you for your answer.

Let me guess ... Petsmart?

YES... That is a great price for Denison barbs! In some mom and pop lfs's they may go for up to $30 a pop.

Denison barbs will do fine with your stock ... They are non-aggressive barbs. They can get up to 6 inches (takes a couple of years) so you can get as little as 3 to have a small school ... Denisons are one of the few barbs you can keep also keep as pairs or even single. A school of 5 really starts to look impressive as they mature.

Yes, you are correct they are at Petsmart. How many do you suggest I get?

How wide is the 70gal and how many rainbows and what type of angel do you have? Depending on the species.... Those fish can also get big. As long as your tank's over 36 inches in length, I'd say go for 5 at most ... 3 at the least. Petsmart only carries juvenile Denisons so they'll only be 1.5 inches, but they'll double in a year... they'll become very active AND fast! That's why you want a wide tank.

It is a bow front and about 42 in in inches long(complete guess). The angel fish is about the diameter of an average size bowl. The rainbow fish are Australian(3), dwarf neon blue(1), and a red and black one.

I'd say you could go for 5 comfortably ... Go no fewer than 3 ... They look nice when they swim together.

Mayanearth said:
What is their lifespan?

I've heard/ read of up to 8years .... So I'd say from 5 - 8 years. I've had mine for nearly a year and a half and they still have another 3 inches to grow.

Definitely worth getting .... You wouldn't have any regrets!

Your welcome .... BTW ... They may look muted in color and not very impressive ... Once they get comfortable and are maintained well, you'll come to appreciate their colors. Here's a pic of mine.

image-2845539478.jpg

Very pretty, is it about 3 inches long? And what does BTW mean?

And what are the yellow fishes. And now did you get the plants to stick to the driftwood. You have a very nice tank thank you for sharing a pic with me.

Mayanearth said:
Very pretty, is it about 3 inches long? And what does BTW mean?

By The Way. My largest is a touch over 3, my smallest a touch under 3 and the middle right at 3..,, as best as I can measure.... They never stop moving.

Do they stress out the other fish? What are the yellow fish?
Thank you

Mayanearth said:
And what are the yellow fishes. And now did you get the plants to stick to the driftwood. You have a very nice tank thank you for sharing a pic with me.

One albino tiger barb and gold barb together, another gold barb near the bottom. The plants in this pic are crypts ... Planted into the substrate. I do have java fern and Anubias on the other end... With those, just tie the roots to DW with cotton string... By the time the string breaks down, the roots will attach themselves to the DW.

I am going to get them tomorrow, and I will post some pictures soon.

I have 3 that I bought this past weekend. Pet smart for $6. So far I love them! They school with my rainbows and sometime school with my lampeye teras! They are still small though.

Back
Top Bottom