Determining the Sex of Maroon Clowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoralCaper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm sure this comes up a lot, but I couldn't find anything on search that really answers what I'm looking for. I was told by someone that you can tell the sex of a gold stripe maroon clown by the length of its tail and dorsal fins? I know they change sex and the easiest way to tell is by size. My problem is I already have one, which is good size and been on its own for a while, so its almost definately female. And I know someone selling one slightly smaller and its the only clown in his tank as well. Is it just luck of the draw wether or not its female or is there anything that can help me determine? Thanks much.

Female = larger more dominte

Male = smaller more docile

All clowns are consitered male until one takes on the role of the female.

Once the take on the female role they are not known to go back to the male role.

The problem is I have one in my tank, and he has one in his. So size doesn't help because they are not a pair. Is there any way to tell if his 3" gold stripe maroon is male or female? Or is that just a chance I have to take?

Have they always been alone in the tanks?

They both may be males and if there size is so close you may be asking for aggression. If I personally were looking for a mate to my 3" clown I would seek a different one about 1-1.5 inches in length. THat way I wouldn't pose a threat to my larger one. IMO

Back
Top Bottom