Diatom Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesertFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 56gal tall (30L x 18W x 24H) tank that is having serious brown algae problems (figuring diatoms) all over everything in the tank including the decorations, plastic plants, inside of the glass, etc. The tank has been up and running for almost 10 months, with the algae problems really just cropping up within the last couple of months. Water paramaters are good, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, ~5-10ppm Nitrate. I do 50% PWC weekly. Current stock is 4x Zebra Danios, 4x Tiger Barbs (have lost 4 in the last couple of months), and 6x Pictus Cats.

I am wondering if my lighting setup is causing the diatom problem (as well as being not enough light for the fish), as currently I am still using the stock light that came with the aquarium (a Marineland). I just started doing some research and realized this one F18-T8 light is only 18 watts (for a 56 gal) which seems like way too little especially considering this is a tall tank.

I'm basically looking for suggestions on a new lighting setup and also if anyone can give me other recommendations for preventing these diatom takeovers!

BTW, the tank is located away from any windows and gets 0 natural sunlight.

Thanks

DesertFish said:
I have a 56gal tall (30L x 18W x 24H) tank that is having serious brown algae problems (figuring diatoms) all over everything in the tank including the decorations, plastic plants, inside of the glass, etc. The tank has been up and running for almost 10 months, with the algae problems really just cropping up within the last couple of months. Water paramaters are good, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, ~5-10ppm Nitrate. I do 50% PWC weekly. Current stock is 4x Zebra Danios, 4x Tiger Barbs (have lost 4 in the last couple of months), and 6x Pictus Cats.

I am wondering if my lighting setup is causing the diatom problem (as well as being not enough light for the fish), as currently I am still using the stock light that came with the aquarium (a Marineland). I just started doing some research and realized this one F18-T8 light is only 18 watts (for a 56 gal) which seems like way too little especially considering this is a tall tank.

I'm basically looking for suggestions on a new lighting setup and also if anyone can give me other recommendations for preventing these diatom takeovers!

BTW, the tank is located away from any windows and gets 0 natural sunlight.

Thanks

I upgraded my lighting to a tank that's nearly 4 years old and I'm having a diatom issue too. Cutting down on the hours your lights are on is supposed to help, but I have plants so I'll just keep cleaning it off at every PWC till it passes.

I just can't figure out for the life of me why the diatom explosion. I've been doing PWCs every 2 days this week and not doing any good. Gonna start leaving the light off all day for a week or so and see if there's any change.

Back
Top Bottom