Didn't Cycle Tank and have had fish for 6 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
This I'm sure sounds really bad but I just recieved a 10gal. tank for my birthday, and being nieve went out bout 5 neon tentras at walmart the next day and put the bag in in the tank to get them adjusted, the water was dechlorized...After reading this forum over and over, I realized I made a big mistake by not cycling my tank. I have around 15-20 local river rocks that I picked up from a local river, and after a couple cycles of cleaning, bleaching and boling them are now in tank...I figured I should point this out seeing how I read it affects the hardness of the water.

I was wondering what you suggest I do now that I have had the fish in there for 6 weeks, they are all still living and seem fine. I did a 75% water change about a week ago and did a 25% water change today. I don't have a test kit. I'm assuming I should go out and buy one? Any ideas on the type to get? And should I start changing the water more?

just to clarify, not sure if i read that right....so until I can get get a kit ( nothing within 120mi) keep changing the water 25% every week?

Until you know for sure, I would change 25% daily because of the sensitivity of neons. Once the tank is cycled, then change 25% weekly. Do you have a lfs that can test your water for you?

Since you have the fish for 6 weeks, chances are that you have established the cycle already ....... But the only way to tell is by testing the water.

When I started my first tank, I had several swordtails and "sort of" cycled by buying fast cycling chemicals and ph and ammonia test kits (only). My surprise two months later when I bought nitrate and nitrite test kits and found out my tank never cycled and it took an additional month (and some losses) to do so.

Your tank might be cycled, or you might be doing well enough with your water changes that it hasn't had the chance to cycle yet. Use test kits for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. If it cycled, great. If not, neons aren't the best for cycling but you could do it if you don't mind it taking longer.

I would continue what you are doing until you get the test kit. Keep the same PWC's, as you said the fish look fine. After you get the test kit and if your ammonia and nitrite are 0, then 25-30% weekly should be fine. But keep your same schedule til you can test your water.

It's really impossible to understand where you are in your cycle without having a starting and ending point that can be measured Iowafish. IME 5 neons in a 10g tank will probably result in what I call a quiet cycle. So little waste is produced that you might never see the traditional ammonia and nitrite spikes. That is unless you're overfeeding and food is left to deteriorate.

I would continue doing the water changes because you certainly aren't doing any harm by that. Don't add any more fish until you get a handle on where the cycle is, and when you do, add them very slowly. I'd also suggest a few small cory cats as the next addition. They're great at making sure little is left uneaten. :wink:

Yes, like Brian says, I have established a biologic filter without toxin spikes by stocking lightly and feeding sparsely. It took about 7 weeks. Thus, since your fish are doing well, I bet you should just continue to do weekly water changes until you get your test kit. Order it online, its much cheaper, even with the shipping. I would not add any more fish until you know your parameters though.

IowaFish said:
just to clarify, not sure if i read that right....so until I can get get a kit ( nothing within 120mi) keep changing the water 25% every week?
Since you don't know if it's actually cycled, you should do PWC more often than that. You can just order that kit I put a link to online, stores charge much more.

Back
Top Bottom