Didn't intend to make this a hobby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vkgirl9193

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had absolutely no intention of ever owning an aquarium!!! What happened to me???

Well, we've had a 10 gallon tank at work for more than a year now. I've enjoyed looking at our kids and feeding them when it's my turn. About 4 1/2 weeks ago someone at work asked me if I had a tank and if I wanted one. My answer: absolutely not. 3 days later, impulse buy at Petsmart with a 5 gallon tank for our 2 year old (almost 3) to enjoy. We have 2 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Fancy Guppies, 2 neons, and 2 that I don't really know what they are...

Cut to this week - walking through the pet store and looking at the 30 gallon tanks. HMMMM! I tell my husband that I think I'd like a 30 gallon set up for my birthday in October. This week, I've gone to 3 separate fish stores trying to find the right one for me. Oh, and I don't want to wait for my birthday. I'll be working some extra hours soon, so I think I'll buy myself a nice 30 gallon bowed front aquarium with stand.

I've been researching and asking the resident fish expert at work all sorts of questions. I found a store today that I liked and got a lot of help from one of the employees. I need to wait (darn!) since we'll be on vacation for 2 weeks in July.

I'm so glad I found this site and I hope to get to know you all!!

Allison

P.S. My husband and 2 guys at work predict I'll be wanting to set up a saltwater system within a year. I don't think so. It looks like a lot of work!

Welcome to the Addiction!! My fiance and I had 2 tanks 6 months ago. We now have 5 FW and one that's about to go brackish. Enjoy--it's a great hobby!

Brackish is like the middle ground between FW and Salt. Where the FW rivers flow into the SW oceans there is a middle ground that we refer to as brackish. Many cool fish prefer this slightly salty enviorment.

Allison, its strange how aquairums just draw you in isnt it. :) Good luck on your quest for the 30 gal tank. Might I suggest you look at the 30 gal cube design? Its my personal favorate of the 30 gal size.

Im glad you found this site aswell. We will enjoy helping you and watching you grow in this wonderful hobby.

And don't forget...there is no question not worth asking. Someone else has had the same exact question before.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice vkgirl.
Fish keeping is an excellent hobby and very addicting.
See how easy it grabs ya?
All you have to do is take care of some fish for any period of time(like you did) and BAM!! your hooked.
Next thing you know you have that 30gal then a 90gal and a couple of 10gal tanks.
Now we need this size tank and that tank.
Hey that 90gal is to small for the fish I want to keep so I better get a 125gal.
The next thing you know your house looks like a LFS...LOL
Well,Good Luck.

vkgirl....

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!! I'm NOT addicted....I'm NOT addicted....uh....well....yes....I just added another 10 gallon tank for those baby Polypterus that I just couldn't resist...but I'm NOT addicted!!! :lol:

We are the fish....resistance is futile...you will be assimilated!!

Back
Top Bottom