Difficult lighting decision!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infamouz88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I have been breaking my head on deciding what light I should get for my 90 gallon tank. I've read everywhere about the differences but can't decide which light will be best. My tank is 24'' tall and have very few plants. I'm looking into getting the finnex planted plus 24 /7 or the Current USA satellite plus. I want a light that will cover my whole tank without needing to buy a second light. I'm planning on purchasing more plants but not to make it a full on planted tank. I need a light to showcase my tank and make my fish stand out. If you have any info regarding these lights in a big tank please give me some input. All I have read about these lights are in small tanks with algae problems because their tanks are 18'' or lower and par is too high. I truly appreciate anyones input.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you want a simple low light tank than a 24/7 should be "ok". If you want something that can be ramped up for more planting options in the future get a current satellite plus pro, needs to be pro. The standard plus won't support anything on that tall tank. 2-24/7 would work also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a Finnex 48" planted model on my 90 gallon tank, and I grow anubias and crypts (plus lots of duckweed) with no problems. I get a minor amount of algae on the glass.

@Brookster123: I see what you mean but the satellite plus pro is way over budget for the 48" model. I'm trying to stay under 200. That's the only reason why I have the Finnex planted +24/7 and the current usa satellite plus.

@mambee: is it the 24/7 model or just the planted plus? I've read about both models and for what I want I think the 24/7 will be my best option between the two finnex.

I think that I have a planted + on my 90 and a daylight on my 150.

I tried some cheap Beamworks models in the past and had problems.

Well I ended up getting the Current USA Satellite plus 48"-60" and I like it so far. I decided on this light just because of the customization and the ability to dim it down. Also because I won't be growing plants and don't want algae growth. So as for pros, the light is bright, fish do pop especially on settings that add full spectrum, as for cons, I don't have any yet. If anyone has any questions about this light don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again @mambee and @Brookster123 for you're input.

1458529964834.jpg

Attachments

• 1458529638336.jpg
    1458529638336.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 57
Just blue leds and cloudy moonlight

Attachments

• 1458530152395.jpg
    1458530152395.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 1458530208790.jpg
    1458530208790.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 51
If budget is a factor than why are you only looking at LEDs? I think a 90 is a bit too big for either of those lights to work alone. You might find yourself looking to add a second light before too long. A good t5ho setup should work great on that tank. I use a t5ho shoplight (from home depot with a DIY reflector I fabbed up from some aluminum roof sheathing) over a planted 55 and it works really well. Plus it didnt break the bank!

@lksdrinker: Well my budget was not going over two hundred and the Current usa satellite plus light went down to 113 for the 48"-60" so I just got it. When I have more money I'll probably buy a second one if need be. And I was thinking of building my own, saw a few diy on YouTube and seems pretty straight forward. But thanks for the tips, might do that on my smaller tank! Sounds like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom