Dinosaur Bichir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdneck21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got this little guy didn't know if anyone had experience with them and had any advice

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1421981693764.jpg
    1421981693764.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 156
Yes I researched him right now he's only maybe 2 or 3 inches, he's in a 36 gallon tank now for the time being plan on getting 75 soon, his tank mates are some tropical sharks giant Danios and some silver tip sharks

But when I feed them he dosent seem to go after the food like the other fish, has anyone else had a similar problem and found anything else better for them

But when I feed them he dosent seem to go after the food like the other fish, has anyone else had a similar problem and found anything else better for them

What are you feeding him and when? They're mainly nocturnal hunters, so feeding right before lights out is always a good bet. You may not see him eat but unless he begins getting skinnier...he's eating. When I got mine she wasn't too interested in food either, after a couple of days she began making herself present during feedings. I started feeding her Massivore sinking pellets, just breaking them into small pieces for her and she loves them. Now as soon as I drop a piece in the tank she swims over from wherever she is and finds it. I have mine on sand though so it may be more difficult for yours to find food depending on if it goes into the gravel. I'd definitely look at getting that 75 sooner than later and just putting him over there. Mine grew from 2.5" to 6.5" in about a month and a half.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Right now I'm just feeding them flakes I was wanting to get other foods for the sharks and him too thanks for the info

I read that they can be a bit picky as far as flakes and pellets. After I get everything set up I'm wanting to get a bichir. I'm going to try smaller worms and brine shrimp. Hope it helps.

Sent from my N8000_WHTE_CKT using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got some brine shrimp last night so we will see how he does

Mine liked shrimp pellets. I could never keep my other fish away from the frozen brine shrimp and blood worms long enough for the bichir to get any. She loves the Massivore pellets though and they have quite a strong scent so they're easy for her to locate. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the info

Turns out he really loves the blood worms, he must be settled in now he's not shy anymore he's out swimming around, thanks for the info guys his name is Quincy and he is getting settled in good

Attachments

• 1422573161028.jpg
    1422573161028.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 120
Back
Top Bottom