dirty water surface....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate under 20, 20 gal community (1 female betta, 3 cherrys, 4 serpaes, 1 zebra= 9 total fish), temp 81, last PWC 25% yesterday, last PWC before than 25% 4 days before, and 2 PWC the week before as well, last filter cartridge/carbon change 3-4 weeks ago, tank is 5 months old

The surface of my water has a coat of dust/slime/oil/something. It goes away for a few hours after a water change, but does come back. I had this with a previous tank as well. Is it normal? If not, how to fix it? What to check?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, this is a protein film. Its usually caused by not enough surface agitation. Adding an airstone, a powerhead or lowering the water level so the filter splashes onto the surface should fix you right up :)

*whoops, rookie beat me to it, lol.

I had an airstone but liked the quiet when I took it out. The tank is in the living room with the TV. I will take out a gallon or two and see what happens. Thanks!

twoodrough said:
I had an airstone but liked the quiet when I took it out. The tank is in the living room with the TV. I will take out a gallon or two and see what happens. Thanks!

Same happened to me. I switched to a canister filter which was almost silent, and I turned off my airstones to enjoy the quiet. I started getting the same film after a few days of turning it off. It cleared up pretty instantly once I turned the air pump back on.

I have a Tetra 20-40. I would have thought with having a larger filter the water disruption would be enough to not have a biofilm problem. Apparantly not. Lowered the water a bit and that took care of about 80% of it. Now to decide if I lower the water to where I am going to see the water line, or put the air pump and stone back in and live with the noise. Hmmmm.....

Back
Top Bottom