Discus Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessiicaxrosex3

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413330509.364124.jpg my little guy has just had little white dots appear on his body and fins, can't really tell in photo. Any ideas as to what this could be?/ a solution? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413330583.100866.jpg

It's hard to tell in that photo. Could you take another with the tank light on, room lights off, and no flash ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Unfortunately, it looks Ike ich. Here's a good article to get you in the right direction. Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

What are your current parameters in the tank ? When was this added and where'd it come from ? Did you QT first ? What's the tank size and stock ?

+1 we definitely need more information. I also agree with the ich article, although the most popular treatment for ich has been to use high temperatures.

Nitrates are 20. No nitrites /ammonia. Ph is 6.8, fish shop has a breeder that had received them from hans Germany, and then breeds them here. 84degrees. Fish was added a week and a half ago, 55 with 30 cardinal tetras, planted tank. Its a dark angel discus i believe

I unfortunately agree. Discus need very clean water and frequent feedings at that size. What size tank? What filtration? Any tank mates?

Edit: The discus is likely stressed out by being alone and weak. What is your water change routine? How long has this tank been set up?

Last edited:
55 gallons, With a school of cardinal tetras. Theres i believe a filter for a 70 on the tank. At least 30% water changes every three days.

Nitrates are 20. No nitrites /ammonia. Ph is 6.8, fish shop has a breeder that had received them from hans Germany, and then breeds them here. 84degrees. Fish was added a week and a half ago, 55 with 30 cardinal tetras, planted tank. Its a dark angel discus i believe

Good tank size and temp. That does look fairly small in relation to the plant. What size is this ? I'm not certain that's a Dark Angel Stendker as it looks way too dark. Is that the only one or do you have more Discus ? Best kept in groups of 5 or more for a few reasons but let's stick with the issue at hand first. At this point, I would choose the heat method above all else. Also, what is your WC schedule and did you QT before placing in this tank ?

No qt, we personally knew the guy who we got em from and he had him for quiet a while. Probably should have. we do the water changes every 3-4 days. so today we are supposed to do one, but is it okay to do with the discus in the condition its in? We only have the one, around 2.5-3 inches in size. Got caught up with home life, were planning on grouping them

No qt, we personally knew the guy who we got em from and he had him for quiet a while. Probably should have. we do the water changes every 3-4 days. so today we are supposed to do one, but is it okay to do with the discus in the condition its in? We only have the one, around 2.5-3 inches in size. Got caught up with home life, were planning on grouping them

QT is your best chance at not introducing something bad (like ich) into your tank. I QT everything that comes in no matter of a personal relationship or not. Grouping is best and the sooner the better. A sole discus will be quite stressed.

Depending on what method you choose will dictate WC's or not. With heat, it's perfectly fine to do WC's during this time. Actually better. It will help to remove the buggers that are free floating and any other cysts that may be in the tank. Discus require pristine water conditions as they can get sick easily.

What temp do you keep your tank at?

82-84 usually. We raised the tanks temperature and did a water change last night. Makes sense that they are less stressed in groups, but didn't want to push it and jump from 0 to 6. Hopefully he pulls through so we can get a group together and watch them grow up

Would he do better in a group now? Or to wait to see if he gets better is the best route?

Do not introduce any fish until this problem has cleared !!! Depending on what method you've chosen, this will take somewhere around 2-3 weeks to be sure the coast is clear. I would make sure that you get the temp up to 86° solid. You will understand why it's important in the link I provided.

Based on the current situation, I would highly recommend a proactive QT of AT LEAST 2-3 weeks. I would push for at least four if it was my fish. I purchase from a highly respected breeder/importer and hold them for 6 weeks in QT. While in QT, is no need to administer any meds UNLESS you see behavior or signs indicating something is not right.

A couple tips for you going forward. Discus prefer to be high up. The taller the tank, the better. They are extremely personable fish. Interact with them often and they will seek you out when you enter a room. Handle them with your hands. Don't use a net. Here is feeding time at my place. My girl is physically "petting" them and they love it !!!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413421106.487292.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413421135.619541.jpg

***** Also, when using the higher temp method, be sure to increase aeration in the tank as warm water has less oxygen. (That's why ice cubes produce quicker with warm water.).

Increasing the temp between 82-86 is an effective way to treat ich.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Keep it at that level for the next 10 days. You may also increase the salinity by adding aquarium salt (2-3 tablespoon/ 5 gallon). Do frequent water changes (once a day starting on the second day)You should see some positive result in 3 days. Have faith... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom