Discus??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckBay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all i have a juwel 180 with an extra rena xp2 external filter.
Can i please get your views on how hard it is it is to keep a discus community and how to set up a tank to accomodate them? Thankyou!

P.S. how hard is it to maintain sand over gravel?

ChuckBay :king:

If you are going to start with Juvenile Discus you are better to grow them out in a Bare Bottom Tank (LESS LIKELY TO CAUSE THEM TO STUNT) but if you do choose to have Sand or Gravel in your Tank you want very a light (WHITE PREFERABLY) colored Substrate especially if you have Pigeon Blood Discus or it can cause them to Pepper = (GET BLACK/DARK SPECKLES ALL OVER).

Adult discus are fine in tanks with sand and gravel and it's recommended to go bare bottom when you have juvenile discus because it is easier to see how much waste is accumulating, it's easier to do water changes, etc. It won't cause the discus to become stunted. There are many large and healthy discus in the wild and they live in sandy areas. Color of the sand can very well influence on what colors your discus will show. It's preferred to have a light colored substrate as already mentioned because it brings out the bright colors in discus. I highly recommend pool filter sand. If they are stressed or if they are trying to hide they will turn dark. Pigeon blood discus do tend to lose peppering when high amounts of light are placed over the tank and they also lose their peppering when they are stressed. I believe a fish that has peppering will show it when it is healthy. My male PB has quite a bit of peppering and he's one of my healthiest discus! He is always fighting with one of my blue diamonds over food and liplocking with him.

You should read up a bit more about raising Discus. They need much higher temperature than normal, and their diets are also a bit more difficult than your average tropical fishes.

Its cool to see them breed though.

Thankyou, ill buyb a discus book,
In the meantime can someone give me the ideal water conditions for discus?
Thankyou

Ideal water conditions vary with age as you will find out in your research. Juveniles and sub-adults need more pristine water in order to reach their maximum size, shape, and to stay healthy while adults can tolerate parameters that I wouldn't keep juvies in.

Go to www.simplydiscus.com/forums to start your research. There are experts from all over the world on that site including some of the discus pioneers. That's your best place to start in my opinion.

I have to agree with Bryan here...I am raising angel fry (of course they aren't discus), but I have also researched it and have found evidence that says to do frequent water changes as there are hormones that build up in the water that can prevent their full growth if not removed regularly. I try to do a 50% change every day or every other day, no longer.

I have to agree with Bryan here...I am raising angel fry (of course they aren't discus), but I have also researched it and have found evidence that says to do frequent water changes as there are hormones that build up in the water that can prevent their full growth if not removed regularly. I try to do a 50% change every day or every other day, no longer.

To certain extent, this is true of any species - even Platy frys. ;) I have clearly seen this when I was raising mbuna frys too.

Back
Top Bottom