Disturbing new trend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I saw dyed African Clawed Frogs. They were pastel colors. According to the lfs they dip them in food coloring. I say she is mistaken because they color would not last then. I'm guessing injected with color. Poor creatures. Has anyone else seen this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've not seen it but it isn't that shocking based on the total lack of knowledge from most shop personnel. Was this a big box store or an independent?

As much as I used to love spending an hour or two weekly in the two local stores they are both gone now. Our local Pet, "WhatEver" is a mini-store and has maybe 100 fish total and not another live animal. I've seen them try to sell 2 male bettas to place in a 1gal tank. I said enough the people left without purchasing them, but how many times have they sold bettas or tiger barbs with guppys and the list goes on.

My advice, purchase fish over the net from reputable breeders.

It was a box store. A smaller box store that is independently owned, just franchised. I had to explain to the fish dept manager who was misinformed about the frogs, what L numbers and C numbers were. She had no idea. This store has interesting fish I can't find elsewhere but yes they are quite lacking in knowledge.

That's horrible. Who the heck comes up with this cruel nonsense?

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have one. They are just albino African clawed frogs that have been injected with a non toxic dye (similar to the other neon fish, except Glofish with I believe a genetically modified.) I read someone thought they might've been GM, but I highly doubt that.

When I got him, he was bright pink and has since faded to almost albino.

I will say that his early handling or injection or whatever has not hampered his appetite; he eats anything and everything he can shove in his face. He also lost an arm early on in my tank right below his elbow (I have no idea how that happened, when I got him the rest of his tank mates were small) and he regenerated a "thumb"! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448723456.721142.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just don't agree with injecting dye into innocent animals. The tattooed fish really bother me as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I've seen them. They were dyed neon. A smaller box store had a ton of them in a tank with little fish that I'm guessing the frogs were probably eating because the box stores don't feed the aquatic frogs.

They creep me out. They just look so artificial.

I kept these frogs before. I had them for about 10 years. They are delightful pets, I feel bad about what gets done to animals.

Any genetically altered or dyed fish I don't agree with. This goes for tattoos, balloon fish, bubble eyes goldfish, even glofish that are completely normal now I just don't agree with it.

Let's dye or tattoo some dogs and cats and see if people rave over them too??? Just kidding but common sense says wrong on all levels in messing with fish in this way.

Caleb

Any genetically altered or dyed fish I don't agree with. This goes for tattoos, balloon fish, bubble eyes goldfish, even glofish that are completely normal now I just don't agree with it.

Let's dye or tattoo some dogs and cats and see if people rave over them too??? Just kidding but common sense says wrong on all levels in messing with fish in this way.

Caleb
Then you are against nearly every single fish in the hobby. The balloon fish and bubble eyed gold fish are genetically modified the same way bananas are; through selective breeding.

I am against any method that shortens the lives of the fish. The balloon fish are an excellent example of this. Glo fish however, are perfectly healthy. Its hard to take a moral stance against something when no harm comes from it.

Ive looked a bit on the frogs and have found no information on how the frogs are dyed. They could be just soaked in food coloring tinted water for all we know. If they were injected with dye then it would show as spots on the frogs.

Then you are against nearly every single fish in the hobby. The balloon fish and bubble eyed gold fish are genetically modified the same way bananas are; through selective breeding.

I am against any method that shortens the lives of the fish. The balloon fish are an excellent example of this. Glo fish however, are perfectly healthy. Its hard to take a moral stance against something when no harm comes from it.

Ive looked a bit on the frogs and have found no information on how the frogs are dyed. They could be just soaked in food coloring tinted water for all we know. If they were injected with dye then it would show as spots on the frogs.

I agree on your statement... Its really only bad to be if it causes them "pain" or shortens their life.

I don't think that the food coloring water would work. It would wash off because it was on the outside.

I think you could check by looking at the eyes of the frogs. If the eyes are colored, then its from external dye, i think, as they wouldn't stab a needle into a creatures eye so if it was injected the eyes would be normal.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Caleb

Ehhh I don't mind the geneticly modified glofish. They're perfectly healthy, not injected with something horrible. Its a pure aesthetic preference. The rest of those things are horrible to the fish, I agree.

Ehhh I don't mind the geneticly modified glofish. They're perfectly healthy, not injected with something horrible. Its a pure aesthetic preference. The rest of those things are horrible to the fish, I agree.

I should reiterate...

More along the lines of the mutation is affecting the life span or daily activity of the fish. Tacky colored glofish are not my thing but if someone wants to own some more power to them...

Bubble eyed goldfish, look into their eyes that in some cases look upwards instead of to the side because of the bubbles and tell me that doesn't look painful for the fish... IMO they are a case where selective breeding crossed the line..

Look at this face... I just find it messed up.
http://imgur.com/K8Wi3kZ

Even other short-body goldfish are prone to SBD. Breeders are focused on making them fatter and fatter which drifts away from the natural shape of koi. Not my cup of tea..

Caleb

Last edited:
As I get more involved with the hobby now, I'm leaning towards more on the purist side more now than ever. About 40yrs ago, as a young boy I remember certain fish I don't see anymore in the lfs, they have vanished. As I'm involved now with Angels in particular and a few other specie's, in Andy Sagar's thread and Angels breeding thread this was discussed as we talked about just the original Angels and how they were mutated ,mixed bred, altered, and even I can now see it more than ever, as my memory's of the old time fish come back. They were some beautiful fish and now I'm not seeing them, except in the pure wild state as they once were.
If we have to alter a banana to feed the world, so be it, its the rite thing to do, but when you alter animals, fish, birds...you only weaken them because it was unnatural !!!
I agree with Caleb on this one!!!

Clem

It's not really the fact that they are being modified its the fast they are being modified to (cue italics) purposely look unnatural and distorted.

People can modify and make fish with long flowing fins or vibrant colors all day long it's not affecting it's health or every day life. But when people people are purposely distorting the fishes body with dyes, ballooning(which is a spinal deformity), and tattoos we have crossed an ethical boundary of now we are shortening life spans and weakening genetics.

Caleb

But the end result is , its a business and modifying is to attract buyers and people new to the hobby, I guess it's the powers of science and the ability to do this, all for the money!!![emoji38]

Clem

I totally want a glow in the dark axlotl. Because AWESOME.

This is my thoughts/opinions on this topic. The more I learn it seems the more O want to throw up. I just like natural fish with natural traits. I'm not saying I hate glo fish, I just hate the look and it doesn't feel right to me. IMO making Flourescent pink angelfish is taking it too far. What's next, Glo koi, Glo oscars? Other people may enjoy these fish but I know I don't. Don't even get me started on fish like balloon mollies, the genetics and info on that stuff just makes me want to throw up.

Fish that are selectively bred to get an ideal color/ trait is ok if you ask me, such as the blue Angels. As long as the fish's life span and happiness aren't affected I'm cool with it.

This is my thoughts/opinions on this topic. The more I learn it seems the more O want to throw up. I just like natural fish with natural traits. I'm not saying I hate glo fish, I just hate the look and it doesn't feel right to me. IMO making Flourescent pink angelfish is taking it too far. What's next, Glo koi, Glo oscars? Other people may enjoy these fish but I know I don't. Don't even get me started on fish like balloon mollies, the genetics and info on that stuff just makes me want to throw up.

Fish that are selectively bred to get an ideal color/ trait is ok if you ask me, such as the blue Angels. As long as the fish's life span and happiness aren't affected I'm cool with it.

1000% agreed...

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom