Disturbing new trend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like natural color in fish. This doesn't have anything to do with hybrids. I mean, as long as its in the genetics... If the fish are being dyed in any way i don't like it, but I'm ok with selective breeding and such.

The reason i mention hybrids is because i know some people say they arent natural (they arent) but the color come from the genes not outside sources. Even if the genes are fudged up. But lets not turn this into hybrids please...

Besides being "natural" it has to be painless. If they are being discomforted by it, then its bad. I don't care about lifespan. Lifespan only matters to you, as the fish obviously doesn't know it will die sooner...

Yeah. But the whole idea of tattooing and dyeing fish is a crappy thing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Bottom line, we have no idea how the frogs are colored. Are they fed dyed food, injected, soaked, or something else? I highly doubt they are injected as we wouldnt ever get anything remotely close to a consistent color. Anything else is just guess work on our part.

Without further knowledge it is impossible for us to take an informed stance on the subject.

However, we do know how much damage is caused by tattooing of fish. If you see such fish in stores please, write the managent a polite letter explaining how bad the practice is.

Until more information comes forth our best option is to never buy the tutti frutti frogs.

When I went to my lfs to purchase new fish, he asked if I wanted Glo-fish and I declined. Regardless of the "mass appeal" of these fish, I just think that many will purchase on impulse, and the fish will die within a short period of time. I think that is my biggest issue with them. They're a fad and like all fads, people tire of them quickly. I prefer natural, regardless of how "boring" the coloring may be.

A diet rich in krill could turn an albino frog pink. After all, flamingos are born white but feed almost exclusively on krill and therefore turn pink. Heck, light skinned humans with too much beta carotene in their diet turn orange. I think there are other foods that can have similar effects. I could be wrong, but I think a spirulina rich diet can cause a shift towards blue/green.

Most, if not all, amphibians can absorb water through their skin rather than drinking it with their mouths. I'm not schooled up enough on the science to say for sure, but it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that they would also absorb any dyes in the water.

The change in diet or removal from the dye would explain the eventual fade back to white.

I've only ever heard of tattooed/injected fish on this forum. Is that something that still happens? Or was it something that was tried but failed because there wasn't a market for it? Or, did it succeed and I've just never run into them (in the real world and online shopping).

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tattooed and dye injected fish are still around, unfortunately. One lfs near me carries them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, fish like "I LUV U PARROTS" are tattoos/dyed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I still agree with Brennae, this is just south ot the ethical line. When people talk about genetically altered fish it really makes ask the question why? I guess over the years I could have produced tank loads of bent back livebearers, but they were deformed and needed to be cut from the breeding program.

As for bubble eye gold fish and ballon mollys, in my opinion they should not be sold or propogated. Kind of like two headed turtles, we know they are out there but nobody wants to breed them that way. When it comes to working logical genetics, yes the hobby has many beautiful fish not found in nature. Some genetic abnormalities are stunning and some just wrong. Each of us needs to form our own opinion as to where the line is and mine is back in the stone age.

Well said. I'm right in the stone age with you

I looked closer at these frogs yesterday and they had black eyes so they were not albino frogs just leucistic. Interesting. Some were quite faded looking as well.

Back
Top Bottom