DIY vs Pressurized CO2??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eheims are good, just make sure not to get the pro ones. Those are the only ones that are terrible. Fluval is also good. 200-300 gph is way overkill for a 29g. 100gph should be enough IMO.
Diy co2 usually ends up with more problems and is not as efficient as pressurized. But it is a lot cheaper. You could go for a pressurized paintball system which is more than enough for a 29g.

Sent with my fingers
No such thing as overkill on filtration IMO. On my 27g I've got a turnover of 150gph from a HOB and another 525gph from a canister. So 675gph on a 27g tank, 25 times per hour 100% turnover. It's not necessary, but there is really no such thing as overkill. The better the filtration the happier your fish will be, in general, and the cleaner your water will be.

I will just pick up the fine bubble air stone. Its not like the air stone is really expensive. If anything I can always use it as the night airstone.

Since I am running 2 light periods should I use the air during dark periods?? I am running lighhts from 6 am-11am and 2:30 pm-8:30 pm. Total of 10 hours, and it gives me more viewing time than if I ran the light 10 hours straight.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No such thing as overkill on filtration IMO. On my 27g I've got a turnover of 150gph from a HOB and another 525gph from a canister. So 675gph on a 27g tank, 25 times per hour 100% turnover. It's not necessary, but there is really no such thing as overkill. The better the filtration the happier your fish will be, in general, and the cleaner your water will be.

I was going with a bigger filter to reduce my weekly wc %.

I was going with a bigger filter to reduce my weekly wc %.

Bigger filter doesn't cut down on water changes. A filter won't remove nitrAtes. That's something that can pretty much only be removed by water changes.

Bigger filter doesn't cut down on water changes. A filter won't remove nitrAtes. That's something that can pretty much only be removed by water changes.

There is ONE thing that can cut back on water changes. It's not inexpensive but it works. I own one, but it is EcoSystems Refugiums. They have HOB for smaller tanks and down below Refugiums for larger tanks. They remove nitrAtes. They have "miracle mud" which is a secret ingredient product.

I saw one video where a guy had a 120 gal Discus tank and in 4 years only did 8 water changes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thats insane adam!

Just got back from the store. Picked up 4 brass t valves, 2 check valves, the fine airstone, amd 25ft of tubing. Going to get my homework done and start building

How far into the bottle do I put the hose? In the water or like an inch down?

So the bottles with the mixture to make co2 get filled up to about 2 inches from the top and the hose sits well above that. You want co2 to pressurize inside the top of the bottle and the hose to suck up only co2. That hose will run into your Gatorade bottle with water in it. That hose goes well into the water. Again, you want the co2 bottle to fill up with co2 so your second hose running out of the Gatorade bottle into the tank needs to remain above the water level.

So in the Gatorade bottle you will be able to see the bubbles rising to the top. Roughly 1 every second

But it will take about 1 hour to start producing co2. Sometimes takes up to 12 hours. If it's not making co2 by then, you have an air leak

Got it set up. Only could get one bottle :( should I shake up the bottle so the sugar are not all on the bottom??? How long does it take for the co2 to start flowing???

Edit: Never saw the previous comments. Just read them. I sealed everything up really good with hot glue so I hope there isn't a leak. Thanks for the help adam

Attachments

• 1415233051097.jpg
    1415233051097.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 41
Yes, shake it up. You did use warm water for the yeast correct? Otherwise the yeast won't activate

<For your next batch...>
If you have a baking thermometer, then the next steps can be used for activating the yeast. This is for a 2L bottle. First, use hot water to dissolve the sugar (1.75L and 2 cups of sugar). When dissolved add to the 2L bottle. Add 1-2"of the sugar water solution to a microwave safe cup and microwave for 10 seconds. Check the temp. Shoot for 105-115 F. Repeat as needed or add some cool water to adjust to that range. Then add the yeast to the cup. Using a spoon, mix it thoroughly and let it sit. Within a minute or two you should see the yeast granules that were sitting at the bottom rise to the surface. They will be fluffy. They should be activated now. Add this to the 2L bottle.
Some recipes call for baking soda. I believe this is to keep the pH from dropping during the fermentation process.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks fresh. I will definitely have to do that. One bottle was warm and the other cool.

Just looked at gatorade bottle and have 1 bubble every 6ish seconds. I will redo the cool bottle tomorrow

So I wasn't getting any bubbles with the air stone soI just ran the hose into thw intake tube. Is the co2 still getting to the plants or would the air stone straight in the tank be better of the pressure huilds up enough?

Attachments

• 1415313492380.jpg
    1415313492380.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 1415313500567.jpg
    1415313500567.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 38
My gatorade bottle had a leak so that could have been why the airstone wasn't working

Air leaks are quite common, and could be the problem. But with only 1 2 liter bottle, you arnt going to have much pressure. The lower the hose goes into the tank, the harder it will be to push the co2 out. An airstone adds to it. You will have to just try it and see if it works with or without the airstone after you fix that leak.

I left the end of the hose off, and kept it near the top of the tank just until I saw bubbles. Then I went a couple inches deeper until it started to bubble again. Continued that until I saw the bubbles wouldn't come out at a certain point.

I have 2 now. Dumped a full sprite 2 liter bottle last night

Back
Top Bottom