do fish get itchy??? Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebbi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This morning ive noticed my fish behaving strangly, most of them are rubbing themselfs against the decorations in the tank, i see them do it some times but not like this, i done a pwc yesterday as i do everyday, i used the same conditner as i aways do and i done nothhing different so why are they doing it?

This morning ive noticed my fish behaving strangly, most of them are rubbing themselfs against the decorations in the tank, i see them do it some times but not like this, i done a pwc yesterday as i do everyday, i used the same conditner as i aways do and i done nothhing different so why are they doing it?

Sometimes after a PWC, fish will flash on plants, ornaments etc as a response to a pH swing due because of nutrients introduced into the water. I had the same thing happen about a month ago after a PWC, 1/2 my Barbs started to flash for about 30 min. Eventually they stopped after a while.

However, flashing could be a sign of parasites etc ... so it's best to monitor them for the next day. Do you see any sore, signs of ick, redness etc ... If not
then it may have been a reaction to PWC's.

Theres no sores or redness. And iv never had a case of ick so i dont know what else to look for.

Its still morning where i live, its been a few hhours since i noticed it,2 fish are still doing it, the venustus and lombardoi, but the rest have stopped.

I've seen this with velvet. To check for it, shine a flashlight on them and see if you notice a sort of copperish dusting..usually beginning around the gill area.

No copper dusting that i could see, every time i got the flashlight on them it startled them and they swam off.

What are your water conditions at? High nitrates can also cause flashing, along with parasites and swings in PH.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom