Do freeze-dried foods cause bloat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, I have some freeze-dried bloodworms that I would like to feed my fish, for some more variety. I have heard though, that freeze-dried foods cause bloat, because they expand in the stomach of the fish. Is this true? I don't have access to frozen food since I don't have a pet store in my area.

Ive read the same thing as I'm feeding them to my Betta. The trick is to soak the blood worms in a small amount of water before you feed them to your fish causing them to expand and removing the bloat issue.

I think I leave mine about 10 minutes, never really timed it. I just put them in and let them puff up, then when I stir them with my finger and they sink, not float, I feed.

Any food that expands when wet could cause bloat if you're not careful with the feedings, IMO. I have been told numerous times that freeze dried foods have no nutritional value because all that's left is the casing, all the good stuff has been "sucked" out in the freeze drying process.

Back
Top Bottom