Do i have an over stocked tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peacockbass

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 90 gallon tank with a 4.5 inch jack Dempsey, a 5 inch pleco, two 2.5 in convicts, one large parrot cichlid, one medium parrot cichlid, a baby green terror (1 inch), and a 3.5 inch African cichlid. I'm not sure if it a too much, I do weekly water changes, and the tank looks very good.

image-1493532696.jpg

What kind of Pleco and what kind of African? You could be alright for a while but at full size the jack will probably terrorize everyone else. But who knows that's the great part about cichlids, sometime they aren't as they seem. As long as they all seem fine now then see what happens. On paper it seems overstocked, and aggression might be a problem but who knows with those south Americans! They have individual personalities.

Sounds good as long as you stay aggressive with your water change schedule!

What kind of Pleco and what kind of African? You could be alright for a while but at full size the jack will probably terrorize everyone else. But who knows that's the great part about cichlids, sometime they aren't as they seem. As long as they all seem fine now then see what happens. On paper it seems overstocked, and aggression might be a problem but who knows with those south Americans! They have individual personalities.
thanks a bunch! They seem to be ok, and the jack isn't the problem right now, it is the 1 inch green terror hahahah.

In the long run you will be overstocked here the max sizes of your fish.

Jack Dempsey 8-10 inches
Each parrot will get around 8 inches
The green terror will be 8-10 inches
If its a common pleco it's going to get around 16-20 inches
Then the cons depending on m or f 4-6 inches
The African depends on the type.

That seems like way to many fish to me. I would rehome one of the cons just in case if they are a pair it will bring a bloodbath and hell with them.

I would rehome the green terror or jack dempsey, I would rehome the pleco as well if its common.

I would also rehome the African it doesn't belong with new world species. Look into a stock of something like

1- Jack Dempsey or GT
2- Parrot fish
1- Convict
1- Bristlenose pleco or maybe even a Featherfin catfish and call it good. That stock list here will max your tank out.

In the long run you will be overstocked here the max sizes of your fish. Jack Dempsey 8-10 inches Each parrot will get around 8 inches The green terror will be 8-10 inches If its a common pleco it's going to get around 16-20 inches Then the cons depending on m or f 4-6 inches The African depends on the type. That seems like way to many fish to me. I would rehome one of the cons just in case if they are a pair it will bring a bloodbath and hell with them. I would rehome the green terror or jack dempsey, I would rehome the pleco as well if its common. I would also rehome the African it doesn't belong with new world species. Look into a stock of something like 1- Jack Dempsey or GT 2- Parrot fish 1- Convict 1- Bristlenose pleco or maybe even a Featherfin catfish and call it good. That stock list here will max your tank out.

Thanks yeah that is what I thought, but as of right now they will have to live together until I have a chance to go to a local pet shop; which really isn't that local. I probably will put the cons in my smaller tank as they are a pair. I heard that cons are super aggressive when mating, but mine are not that aggressive and they have showed signs of mating. My tank will probably be the two parrot cichlids, the jack, the green terror, and my African. The African really gets along with the new world cichlids. I am also hoping to put my pleco in another tank, although it is not a common pleco

Ok if that's going to be your tanks stock keep an eye on aggression and its going to take like 75 percent a week water changes to keep that tank under 20 ppm nitrates when they are full grown.

Back
Top Bottom