Do I Need An Air Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do i need an air pump i have a filter does it provide oxygen ? :ermm: my filter it's taking the water and then throw it above the water on the surface so it's giving me oxygen? or it's necessary to buy it?

Using Airpumps

Do i need an air pump i have a filter does it provide oxygen ? :ermm: my filter it's taking the water and then throw it above the water on the surface so it's giving me oxygen? or it's necessary to buy it?

Hello ch...

If you have a filter with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of 4 times the volume of your tank, then it's providing enough oxygen to your tank. An example: If you have a 30 gallon tank and your filter has a gph of 120 or more, than that's all you need. Air pumps and airstones add very little oxygen to the water. I'd recommend saving your money.

Just one tank keeper's opinion, though.

B

No... You do not need an air stone. Don't bother getting one. If you want one that bad I will be more then happy to ship you my Rena 300 free as a random act of kindness if you promise to pay it forward one day.

KCCO....

No... You do not need an air stone. Don't bother getting one. If you want one that bad I will be more then happy to ship you my Rena 300 free as a random act of kindness if you promise to pay it forward one day.

KCCO....

Do you really believe air is that over rated? I just feel that any extra in the water couldnt hurt. But I also run a sponge filter along with extreme over filtration.

Do you really believe air is that over rated? I just feel that any extra in the water couldnt hurt. But I also run a sponge filter along with extreme over filtration.

Yes, IMSO I think there for looks only. If your filtration is up to par there is no need for those air stones and bubblers and all those fancy led air stones etc... But if you want one by all means get one. It's all about what you like.

I don't use air stone or any of the fancy expensive stuff. I'm running a fluval 304 and penguin 350 on my biggest tank a 75g but I also run my sponge filters for extra air and to aid in cycling another tank if needed. I feel like I'm adding another tank every couple weeks.

I think air bubbles can help add to the water movement in parts of the tank that there may not be a good flow from the filter, like around decorations or in caves.
Mixing up anything that could settle there to rot is a good idea and air stones are a great way to do that.

You might not think of an Oxygen pump as a valuable extra to your tank but it definitely is. The more oxygen you provide towards your nitrifying bacteria the better and more stable your levels will be. These bacteria need a good oxygen supply to grow and stabilize in your tank. Even after your cycle is completed some extra oxygen for them wouldn't hurt since this can only compliment cleaner water and a better continuous cycle. I hope this helped you out on deciding a little bit. The oxygen bubbles will also give your aquarium a nice look and some extra water flow.

You might not think of an Oxygen pump as a valuable extra to your tank but it definitely is. The more oxygen you provide towards your nitrifying bacteria the better and more stable your levels will be. These bacteria need a good oxygen supply to grow and stabilize in your tank. Even after your cycle is completed some extra oxygen for them wouldn't hurt since this can only compliment cleaner water and a better continuous cycle. I hope this helped you out on deciding a little bit. The oxygen bubbles will also give your aquarium a nice look and some extra water flow.

Are we talking air stones or power heads now? I'd agree power heads are great and I'd disagree about the air stones, adding little bubbles to your tank won't do much at all. Just my opinion but you don't "need" an air stone for your tank to thrive or even survive.

You said it I think, most do it for looks, other then that its just a waste IMHO. Some like them others don't. Those that don't use them have great thriving tanks. Those that use them have great thriving tanks... Point being... To each there own but certainly NOT needed.

Are we talking air stones or power heads now? I'd agree power heads are great and I'd disagree about the air stones, adding little bubbles to your tank won't do much at all. Just my opinion but you don't "need" an air stone for your tank to thrive or even survive.

You said it I think, most do it for looks, other then that its just a waste IMHO. Some like them others don't. Those that don't use them have great thriving tanks. Those that use them have great thriving tanks... Point being... To each there own but certainly NOT needed.

100% agreed with this

I use tem becuz I enjoy the look of them. When put in right spot in tank!

I use an airstone but have it turned way down, adds interest without being too much.

100% agreed with this

I was talking air stones, unless I mentioned power heads in my post? Either way, I agree that both aquariums with or without can be great, but disagree that it only adds some bubbles. The aeration of your water becomes better with adding some air stones, not stating that you need one and never stated that, simply stating that it does add some aeration to your water which compliments the continuous cycle of your nitrifying bacteria and eventually keeps the levels in your aquarium somewhat more stable. Conclusion: air stones are not a requirement, but definitely compliment your tank in both water quality and visuals.

Back
Top Bottom