Do I Need an Ultra violet Steralizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mound

Aquarium Advice Activist
I see these things around, people listing them in use on their tanks - I've never had one myself, never particularilly thought I had a need for one - why do people choose to get them and are they generally considered a wise and necessary investment?

My stock answer to this question is no. I usually answer it in the SW forum, but I think it is the same for FW. They can be useful, but they are far from a necessity. I have a couple (sitting in a closet left over from my years of needing every gadget on the market) and have not had to use one for the last several years. The last time I did use one was to clear up a particularly nasty bacterial bloom that I didn't want to wait for it to end on it's own.

You certianly don't need a UV sterilizer to be succesful, although it does help keep your fish from getting diesease.

IMO, for there cost they aren't nessicary. They protect your fish from getting disease, but don't cure.
Maybe for a saltwater tank, but not a freshie!
Justin

Back
Top Bottom