Do I still need the gravel filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fxbillie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a gravel filter but I also have outside power filter (like AC 300). Do I really still need the gravel filter with its clumsy board? I also don't know if all the thingie trapped underneath the board will become a source of contamination/amonia build up. So what is the use of the gravel filter then? It was something I used 30+ years ago (when I last left the hobby), but I am not sure if power filter nows make the gravel filter useless. Any comment please?

not ammonia but nitrate or nitrite build up will happen, I use them but reversing the flow leaves a pretty darn clean underside and also better filtration.

I still use them, they are great filters but like I said nitrate factories at the same time when used as a UGF, if its a RUGF the build up will be very minimal....my black kuhlli's breed under the thing and if they can raise healthy babies under it, its gotta be darn clean.

Old technology still works the same way it did back then.

a HOB filter (ac300 ect) is a great filter and when used in conjunction the filtering is very good.

I agree with WhiteDevil. Either use the undergravel filter or remove it. Just leaving it sit creates a perfect place for waste to build up and rot, creating a time bomb at the bottom of your tank.

wow that news to me. ive read a lot of sources that say UGFs are great (even in some salt water tanks). there large suface area is capable of housing huge amounts of benificial bacteria and the water turn over rate (expecialy witha powerhead) is also quit efficient. Just because somethings expencive or "modern" doesn't make the inexpensive or low-tech mediums obsolete. Even simple sponge filters work well. Exept they dont have chemical filtration ie. activated carbon. But a reputable lfs i went to (that had no a.c. filtration told me that carbon (and air stones for that matter) are not nessesary. Partial water chenges are the key for sucsess.

I agree. Old doesn't mean obsolete. UGFs are fantastic filters if kept up well. However, they're time bombs if neglected. Chemical filtration is overrated. I don't use it unless I'm trying to remove something specific from the water.

Back
Top Bottom