does a temperature differential between room and tank cause algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just started getting algae in my tanks, nothing has changed water quality wise or adding anything to the tank.

the only difference I can come up with is our "colder" weather, normally the room temp and tank temp differs by about 3-4 degrees during the spring to fall, now with South Texas winter coming on, the room temp will drop to around 70 with the tank temps staying around 78-80.

So, could the change from 3-4 to 8-10 degrees difference cause a bit of algae to form on the tank? We don't get slow changes in temperature we get sudden drastic changes; like tomorrow, Sunday, it will be 85F, Monday it will be 65F :eek:

bobc4d said:
I just started getting algae in my tanks, nothing has changed water quality wise or adding anything to the tank.

the only difference I can come up with is our "colder" weather, normally the room temp and tank temp differs by about 3-4 degrees during the spring to fall, now with South Texas winter coming on, the room temp will drop to around 70 with the tank temps staying around 78-80.

So, could the change from 3-4 to 8-10 degrees difference cause a bit of algae to form on the tank? We don't get slow changes in temperature we get sudden drastic changes; like tomorrow, Sunday, it will be 85F, Monday it will be 65F :eek:

How long are your lights on each day? I've found that by limiting my lights to 8-9 hrs, depending on the tank, I'm not getting algae as I have in the past except a little in my 46g because its getting a little sun through the window.

First off what type of algae are you having? Any pic's, they help alot. Algae is caused from several issues. Do you have a planted tank or fish only. What is you light and lighting schedule? If it's planted do you dose any ferts or use a liquid carbon or CO2? What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Back
Top Bottom