Does Flashing mean ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I traded a local from Craigslist some plant trimmings a week ago for some mollies for my son's 20 gal. The last couple days, I've been noticing them flashing up against the plants in the tank...could I possibly be heading for an ich break out? What are the chances that his brother's tank will be infected as well since they share the same siphon and bucket for PWCs?

It could be ich, velvet or possibly irritation from ammonia. Most likely ich though. Sounds like they got attacked because they are a new fish and were most likely stressed from the transfer. Other fish should not get infected unless they too stress out or there is a major outbreak.

I don't think it necessarily means you are headed for ich. I am assuming you looked closely for any signs of an outbreak? It is usually pretty easy to spot ich on a molly... If you make it through another week without any visible signs of ich, then that is most likely not the problem.

Keep an eye on the other fish in the tank as well... if one has it, they will all have it in short order if the infection is prevalent enough.

There is a chance that ich could spread as you described if one tank is infected and the ich is in the right stage of its lifecycle. I hope it works out, and that the mollies are just adjusting.

next time... quarantine! :)

Thanks, guys! I've never had ich before but know what to look for. If I see more symptoms, how should I treat? There are shrimp in both tanks. Cories in one and a pleco in the other, if that helps.

I am kicking myself, Fort! I assumed since they are young and came from someone's personal breeding tank and not a pet store that I would be fine. I've got a feeling that is not the case though! :(

You could raise the temp up to about 84-85 (slowyl!) for 5-6 days. Do a 50% PWC every day for the next 4-5 days. Aeration would also be good while the temp is elevated.

He does have a bubble wand in there. What stinks is his tank came with a non-adjustable heater (HATE those things with a passion!). I guess I'm going to have to try and figure something out!

Back
Top Bottom