Does this mean my tank is cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I tested my tank water yesterday, Ammo was 4ppm, Nitrites 5.0ppm or above (it's hard to tell) and Nitrates 40- 80ppm.

I've tested my water again this morning, Ammo 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm and Nitrates either 0 or 5.0ppm?

I thought when a tank has fully cycled there are meant to be nitrates? Or does it matter if there are some or not?

It doesn't sound like the nitrates could have dropped that much unless you did a pretty large water change. I would test the nitrates again. Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit? Did you shake it as directed?

I did a 25% water change yesterday as I accidentally overdosed on ammonia. I'm using the liquid test kit and yup shook the bottles like there was no tomorrow :p

What is your ph? Is your tank heavily planted? When you test for nitrite, does it start off purple then change to blue or does it stay blue the entire time with no change?

Hmm, so either your earlier test of 40-80 ppm was incorrect or the current one is. If you've gotten the same results twice and each time and up with 0 nitrates, than I would assume the test of 40-80 ppm is the inaccurate test. It happens sometimes. I test everyday and now and then I will get a 'really high for me' nitrate result and have like an 80, panic and do a 50% water change and then retest to find nitrates are only 5 ppm which means they could only have been at 10 ppm to begin with.

Though, are you using a water conditioner when you add tap water? I recently switched to one that removes nitrites and nitrates along with chlorine and chloramines. In that case I would wait to see what the water parameters look like in 48 hours.

My pH is 7.6, no my tank only has fake plants and it went straight to blue and stayed blue today.

I'll test again later and see what happens, yes I'm using Bob Martin's TapSafe although I've just bought Tetra Aquasafe as I don't really trust the TapSafe.

I'm hoping my tank has cycled, it's been about 7 or 8 weeks since I started it

Ok so I dosed my tank back up with the smallest ammount of ammonia this morning. I've just retested and the results are now: Ammo 0.25ppm, Nitrite 5.0ppm and Nitrate 80ppm

I guess I just need to wait and see what the results are in the morning to know for sure?

1. Your tank is definitely not cycled but you seem to be getting there.

2. I think the reading of 0 nitrates was incorrect, as it is back at 80 now.

3. What test kit are you using?

Ohh bummer! I got really excited when I tested this morning and saw no nitrites. I'm using the API freshwater liquid test kit

I've just tested my water, it's 24 hours since I added the ammonia and results are as follows: Ammo 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm and Nitrates 20-40ppm

I've just tested my water, it's 24 hours since I added the ammonia and results are as follows: Ammo 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm and Nitrates 20-40ppm

Hmm...

Strange that ammonia and nitrite drop that quickly. Did you add anything to the tank besides ammonia since it has started cycling? You should dose ammonia back up to 4 ppm and test it again in 24 hours.

You're much closer than I thought! (y)

Update! Done another 24 hours, I think it's safe to say I'm cycled and the reading the other day was a fluke. Ammo 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm and Nitrate anout 80ppm. So now do I just do a water change to get Nitrates down? I can't wait to get my little guy :D

Why are you guys cycling in this manner?
Sounds difficult and way too time consuming.
This is how I do it for all my discus tanks:
I add my tank water.
Add heaters, air stones etc
Finally I add my canister filters (in my case I use Fluval FX5's one per tank)
All media has already been inserted in the canister and include the following:
Peat Pellets
Ceramic Noodles
Some charcoal
Nitrate Down etc

I then turn on the filter and do this:
I use Microbe Lift or Stability (Lift is far better)
I pull up roughly 15ml into a syringe with a short hose attached to the end
I then inject this at the opening of the inlet nozzle of the canister filter which is in the tank. Some of it enters the tank which is perfectly safe and most goes into the filter with tank water.
Give it a few days and it's completed seeded or as u guys call it "cycled"
The benefit of this method is the fish can remain in without no harmful side effects or any form of distress. If discus can manage this any fish can.

I then add some Cycle and a quarter cap of Prime and some pH buffer for added safety.
A 20-30% WC a week later and all is good.

That's it. Easy

Everyone has their methods of cycling, as this is my first one I chose the fishless ammonia method, it's worked for me.

The problem with what you said is I have a limited budget on what I can buy for a tank and limited space in my room, thus only having a 5 gallon tank with a very basic in tank filter that came with it which suits me just fine.

Also I'm not planning on buying Discus any time soon so your "advice" is basically irrelevant and to be honest, I'm kind of annoyed that you've hijacked my thread with something unrelated to what I'm asking.

Lol Franny relax

I didn't "hijack" your thread
Also u dont need lots of money to use the method I've suggested.
Get a bottle of Microbe Lift and you should be good.

Apologies if I offended u in any manner.
It wasnt my intention to.
Forums are meant to collaborate and share knowledge. I'm sure others might benefit from both your experience and mine

M

Back
Top Bottom