Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That link showed how to build one for just a few bucks if you have a lot of electronic parts laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do peps eat Mojano or is it strictly aptasia? Even a butterfly fish? Love your carpets I recently got one and its doubled in size already was only 2" when I got it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438122773.435623.jpg
This one came up for sale a couple weeks ago but the price tag was s bit to much for me ($4500) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438122844.766869.jpg

That link showed how to build one for just a few bucks if you have a lot of electronic parts laying around.

Electricity is not my forte .... I'd black out San Diego if I tried !!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ive read through the first 50 pages of the the thread so far. Ill be up to speed by the end of tomorrow on your tank :D

LOL...it's a work in progress. On another note, my refractometer failed on me...I've been keeping my fishy friends and corals in 1.030 sg......
That's what I get for not ordering the calibration fluid last time.

LOL...it's a work in progress. On another note, my refractometer failed on me...I've been keeping my fishy friends and corals in 1.030 sg......
That's what I get for not ordering the calibration fluid last time.

I had the same issue awhile back myself .., decided to recalibrate both my refractometer and my salinity probe at the same time ... Kind of just one of those things you take for granted that after awhile get out of whack

I've been calibrating my refractometer with tap water. It has been dead nuts. I check it before every use. Just kind of anal that way.

Check out Randy's recommendation on using only pure water for basic calibration, but using two different calibration fluids gives more accuracy. I keep a bottle of ro/di that I assume is 0.000 and I also keep a sample that is measured at 0.030. I have checked this sample using several other peoples refractometers and assume it's right.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/

Last edited:
Check out Randy's recommendation on using only pure water for basic calibration, but using two different calibration fluids gives more accuracy. I keep a bottle of ro/di that I assume is 0.000 and I also keep a sample that is measured at 0.030. I have checked this sample using several other peoples refractometers and assume it's right.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/

I NOW have pretty much the exact same set up 0.000 and 0.025.... Just gotta remember to recalibrate things every now and then :-/

Happened to me once. However, it was during the switch from a hydrometer to a refractometer. My hydro was reading 1.026 when in reality I was closer to 1.031. Ever since the switch I made sure to keep the refractometer calibrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug ..., are you still juggling your salt mixes ?

Does that kinda play havoc trying to keep up your parameters stable ? The reason I ask is that I've been using tropic Marine for the last year or so but I've got a bunch of bags of Kent and instant ocean that are just sitting around ... Just trying to figure out just how to utilize them and still keep things stable .... Maybe just do a mix drink thing ... Three parts tropic , one part io ?

It doesn't drastically change much of anything really. Slight changes but nothing to worry about. After all you aren't changing 100% of your water....just a small percentage.

So, I was paying my quarterly water bill and out of the envelope came this little tidbit of info-
img_3262270_0_9b8cd0f4f0d00edf0ce7f5be8f1be98a.jpg

I'm pretty sick of living here and this is the straw that broke the camels back.

I quit drinking tap water a long time ago and we actually have pretty good water. Drink from a pre di stage of your filter. You can even plumb it into your ice maker.

This kind of reminds me ( in the movie " walk the line " ) when Johnny cash holds up that "off color" glass of water to the inmates at Folsom prison and says something like 'you drink this crap ? ' ...... Nice to see that your local water service has your health at heart :-/

I do have a drinking water tank to hook to the RO unit, but I'm thinking of getting a larger tank and separate filter to do the entire house....that, or ....MOVE.

Back
Top Bottom