Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, thank you Doug. Your words continue to add ease to the decisions I make with my tank. Just need to relax and watch it grow. If the birds nest doubled in size then I'm doing something right. I love the plastic tubs for sumps, I wish I had a room for them. Keep us posted brother!

awesome doug, its been months since i've logged on and taken a look at your setup, things are looking great.

how have those LEDs you bought off ebay been treatign you?

Thanks! It really doesn't look that good yet, due to the general neglect, but it's coming around now. The TaoTronics LED fixtures are excellent for the money. No problems with them on my tank, or the tank at the Devon Fitness Club.

Looking good x!! just ordered the taotronics Too dimmable 120w how have the lights been for you ... Obv the corals love them ...are they noisy meaning the fans ?

Reefpete said:
Looking good x!! just ordered the taotronics Too dimmable 120w how have the lights been for you ... Obv the corals love them ...are they noisy meaning the fans ?

I have them too, the noise blends in well, if you have a sump you don't even notice it.

Thanks! It really doesn't look that good yet, due to the general neglect, but it's coming around now. The TaoTronics LED fixtures are excellent for the money. No problems with them on my tank, or the tank at the Devon Fitness Club.

awesome thats the same thing with me, i've been crazy busy and my tank sort of got neglected :(

i've been working away from home since june and between april and august we were doing a large reno on our house, so the last waterchange i did beforelast week was in april when i changed tanks and moved my setup to my basement, the funny thing was my fish and coral were all doing well even my anemone just had a small case of fluffy brown algae which is easy to pull off and hasn't returned, some caked on brown algae on the glass and i had a clown jumper i got a text from my sister one day telling me my dad found one of my nemos on the floor. i guess a fully established system with well seeded sand, rock and a fuge stuffed with micro algaes is really a nice way to keep things clean.

in may i bought a long spined sea urchin that was maybe 2.5 inches, its now an 6" ball of spikes and a few weeks ago it stung me :p

Some of the Chinese fixtures I've heard people say have noisy fans, but I don't mind the noise level out of these. I just bought a dimmable fixture also for the refugium/ frag tank. Another bargain. I think it was $154.00 shipped.

The Devon Fitness Club's tank has been up since Sept. of 2009. The LED fixtures were installed shortly after I bought mine.

I'm getting back into loving the tank again. A few months and it should be 100%. Life steps in and any hobby can be put to the way side for a bit. The trouble with this hobby is that things die when that happens.

mr_X said:
Some of the Chinese fixtures I've heard people say have noisy fans, but I don't mind the noise level out of these. I just bought a dimmable fixture also for the refugium/ frag tank. Another bargain. I think it was $154.00 shipped.

The Devon Fitness Club's tank has been up since Sept. of 2009. The LED fixtures were installed shortly after I bought mine.

I'm getting back into loving the tank again. A few months and it should be 100%. Life steps in and any hobby can be put to the way side for a bit. The trouble with this hobby is that things die when that happens.

I agree 100%...That's what I usually tell friends that ask about this hobby,... Not only can it be expensive ,time consuming and demanding but as you said ,it's not like collecting stamps or flying model airplanes ,.. You better be committed to it because you just can't push it aside for a month or two and then just come back to it.,,in our case "things die" if we neglect our tanks and that's just wrong.
Doug,do you have any recent pictures of the Devon tank? I'd love to see it again.

mr_X said:

Okie thanks x I just got mind 120watt blue dimmable and my are super quiet I think they may be the new taotronics I can't even hear the fans ... Tested them and they're super bright ... What intensity do you think I should start it at .....

I have a carpet anemone thats on the bottom a hammer candy cane and xenia all toward the middle under t5ho 4x 31 watts now

Reefpete said:
Oh Also my tanks a 29 gallon I think 18inch high and I was gonna mount them 5 inch above tank

I don't have this fixture but from everyone I know using them I would start at the very lowest setting and ramp it up VERY slowly because LEDs can bleach corals very easily if not acclimated correctly.

Mrc8858 said:
I don't have this fixture but from everyone I know using them I would start at the very lowest setting and ramp it up VERY slowly because LEDs can bleach corals very easily if not acclimated correctly.

Thanks yeah I just tested them and wow what a difference ill start at minimal settings

Hey Doug what's the depth of your tank .

I'm seriously considering buying a bunch of these led fixtures you speak of (taotronics). I had a few of the led floodlights but the drivers all failed.

I found some 100w cree chips but at 13000 lumens output I'm not sure if it would be too bright.

how many of these fixtures do you have on your tank? Are they you're sole source of lighting?

How many do you think I would need for my 800 gallon?

Hey doug, how many of those led light fixtures would i need to cover my 48" 75 gal tank?

If we have questions like this, we can easily start a new thread. Doug is knowledgable, but we wouldn't want the thread closed on his build.

Doug, did you see any major negatives your "extended" time from maintenance? I've had to go bi-weekly from work issues with only an alk issue.

Back
Top Bottom