Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From my research on platygaria, water flow is more important than light. They like a lot of flow.

Started reading this tread at 8:00 this morning Saturdays are slow hear at the plant plenty of reading time. I just finished and all I got to say is wow the wealth of knowledge hidden in all the comments..Great tank Doug keep up the good work...

Started reading this tread at 8:00 this morning Saturdays are slow hear at the plant plenty of reading time. I just finished and all I got to say is wow the wealth of knowledge hidden in all the comments..Great tank Doug keep up the good work...
+1 I have learned a lot just from reading this one topic. Doug knows what's up!

Not really....just putting time in like everyone else. Special mention goes to google, and the fact that I imported and sold a crap load of corals and fish in a short time.

Not really....just putting time in like everyone else. Special mention goes to google, and the fact that I imported and sold a crap load of corals and fish in a short time.

I call BS on this,..it's really nice to have a " go to" guy when trouble's on the line ,... It's just nice to know that whatever seems to come up somehow you'll find the answer for it, wether you have to " google" the answer or not,..we all appreciate the dedication you have for this forum,.. And being a " moderator" is just more reason to appreciate the effort you put forth to help everybody here even more,..I especially enjoy your straight forward no holes bared approach to things,...there's another thread you're involved in that someone has basically called you out ,but you've retained your cool very nicely and stated your views and handled things way better than I would have ,... God only knows you've helped me a time or two via pm's ,...keep up the good work Doug ,we all truly appreciate the effort.

Yes, you have a cooler head than I do on the forum. And in my profession a cool head is mandatory. Can't say I haven't enjoyed arguing a little over the years. Remember our first LED debates? Not that long ago.

Doug I'm losing the battle with this. I need your help!!!!

I was told this is turf algae. I was away for a month and my protein skimmer failed plus no water changes = turf algae.

This is what it looked like when I got home.

image-3650037682.jpg

I removed most of it by hand and maintain weekly water changes and got it to look like this

image-2657668102.jpg

But now it looks worse.

image-1098619141.jpg

image-337725606.jpg

I'm doing 15 gallon WC every week some times every 3 days. I'm considering pulling all the live rock and starting over or rearranging the rocks to hide all this algae. Phosphates remain at 0. Sorry for the long post.

Wow that's some serious algae! Do you have a hospital tank you can drop your coral into? If it were me I'd do that and shut off my lights for a while. Then continue with pwcs, and scrub.

No, I just sold my 55 gallon tank. That's a good idea though I might just buy a used tank off of CL and try that. I pulled some rocks out of my display and the turf algae dried up and died. I'm thinking of doing this with about half the rocks and starting over with the half I pull out.

I wonder though, if you put the rock back in, would the algae come back. I think it would. After all, did you introduce this algae, or was it deep in the rock waiting for a nutrient spike to start the ball rolling?

It must of been deep in the rocks because I didn't add anything before I left. When I came back I had about the size of a pillow worth of this algae inside my sump.

Well, it took me about 6 months of water changes and reduced feedings to overcome that weird brown stuff I had.

Ok I'm going to do 20 gallon WC every week now and run my lights for 6 hrs instead of 10 hrs. I've been struggling with this since January.

I finally got over my algae issue (7 month battle) by doing 15%pwc every 3-4 days and scrubbing the infested lr in new sw. Hope your fight goes better!

Rich, have you ever considered vokda or carbon dosing, even the simple for of it and goign with biopellets in a proper controllable biopellet reactor?

i'm not a big fan of the lights out thing, you're going to end up killing off the algae which with basically cause more nuitrients to appear, causing the problem to come back.

the source is excess nuitients so you have to do what you can to limit it and just keep up with your water change. make a wetter skimmate to force more out just be sure to monitor your salinity because i'll force out more water and you might top it off with more fresh water then needed

Last edited:
I'm not too sure how the vodka dosing works.

I run TLF phosban and BRS premium Rox 0.8 Carbon in my dual reactor.

I just bought a lawnmower blenny, 20 Turbo snails and 3 Mexican Turbo snails.

How much Vodka do I dose for my 90 gallon

I'm not too sure how the vodka dosing works.

I run TLF phosban and BRS premium Rox 0.8 Carbon in my dual reactor.

I just bought a lawnmower blenny, 20 Turbo snails and 3 Mexican Turbo snails.

How much Vodka do I dose for my 90 gallon

Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

a good write up on it, there are also other methods of carbon dosing which include adding sugar or vinegar, but this article is all about alchohol dosing

remember something through, the algae graizers may eat the algae but they still poop it out, yes they do absorb what they need for nuitrients but they poop out the rest, so while some of the algae may be eaten they will simply just crap it out eventually and cause more nuitrients for algae growth.

graizers work to a certain extent because as they eat and poo you can change the water before their poo breaks down.

like i said you need a method of removing the nuitirents not simple graizers that mask the problem, carbon dosing helps the skimmer drive out the dissolved organic compounds found in the water which is why you need a faily decent skimmer when dosing, its not just to help oxygenate the water

my only suggestion with carbon dosing is take your time don't rush things and if you don't feel comfortable then don't do it. biopellets are a much simpler way of doing things although it is more expensive

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom