Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently found pyramid snails a few weeks ago on my Deresa clam but find none on my Crocea. So far I find them not doing any damage or causing it to not open fully. Periodically I pull it out and scrub them off. Honestly though with all the types of pyramid snails without an expert examining one who knows if they are bad ones or not.

I cleaned the clam and removed some snails but didn't see anything pyramidal. I did remove a 4" bristle worm from the clams bottom. It was all up inside the clam and I pulled it out by its head. Creepy. Don't know if that was the cause of its sickness or just a result of it, probably just cleaning up a clam on its way out. Clam is shut up tight right now.

Last edited:
Are you sure it was a bristle worm? Did you see any mucous-looking webs on the clam?
There is a worm called "oenone fulgida" that eats clams and slow snails. If you google that name you'll see pics and a few of mine even.

That sure looked like it. Didn't inspect the head, but size and color were right on. Didnt see any webs but I cleaned the whole outer shell off. I hope removing it helps. It was a disgusting thing and I am pretty use to reef creatures. Hate worms...

If that was eating at the clam, I don't see how it's going to recover from that. Also, if you see one of those worms, you may have more.

Are you sure it was a bristle worm? Did you see any mucous-looking webs on the clam?
There is a worm called "oenone fulgida" that eats clams and slow snails. If you google that name you'll see pics and a few of mine even.

I think that I have one of these snails attached to my clam. It looks like a barnacle with and opening one web looking thing coming out of it. I thought they are not bad? How should I vet rid of it?

That's a vermetid, not a predator worm. It may or may not stress the clam. You can scrape it off with a butter knife or screwdriver, or whatever you like, but take care not to damage the clam. They aren't really bad...just filter feeders. The webs sometimes stress corals if they are close enough.

No, snail population is blooming in that tank. The main reef is practically snailess as a result of a mob of wrasses. But they kill the worms also. No wrasse in the tank with the clam.

maybe look into gettign a sixline to help control any pest worms.

question will a sixline go after all worm life even those living in a DSB? my next setups will be DSBs but i worry about sifters and other fish killing off the life i'm trying hard to keep alive.

granted a sand bed recharge kit is easily bought but i'd ratehr keep the life for as long as i can and keep their reproduction going strong

good i won't want it as a worm killer in the case of a DSB if it keeps some pest under control them great but i wouldn't want it ripping through my worm population

Thanks everyone for great discussions. I been following this tread for over a year and learned a lot .
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom