Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im on city water and my tds goin in the unit is 2to 5 ppm, it varies for some reason. Compared to what you guys have i could be selling it to you lol.

i wish i could get a 1:1 ratio, it sucks wasting water
I set mine up to a drip system that waters my grass and plants. Thought it wouldn't be effective bc all the crap is what ends up coming out, but the plants and grass love it! It also prob helps that my di unit is a 1:3 ratio.

I set mine up to a drip system that waters my grass and plants. Thought it wouldn't be effective bc all the crap is what ends up coming out, but the plants and grass love it! It also prob helps that my di unit is a 1:3 ratio.
no its not remember there are pre filters pulling out chlorine and silts from the water, the RO membrane if cleanign whats left even finer, so youre already getting cleaner water to the RO membrane you're just shooting out the waste of the cleaner stuff.

so in all honestly you're probably better off watering your grass with it then from the hose

I am loosing a Platygyra slowly but surely with all other corals growing fine. I finally dipped it because change in lighting or flow didn't matter. It's still going downhill while more difficult corals are growing. I know you have rescued these. What should I try next IYO? I am a bit perplexed because this is usually an easy coral.

Last edited:
no its not remember there are pre filters pulling out chlorine and silts from the water, the RO membrane if cleanign whats left even finer, so youre already getting cleaner water to the RO membrane you're just shooting out the waste of the cleaner stuff. so in all honestly you're probably better off watering your grass with it then from the hose
sweet thx

I am loosing a Platygyra slowly but surely with all other corals growing fine. I finally dipped it because change in lighting or flow didn't matter. It's still going downhill while more difficult corals are growing. I know you have rescued these. What should I try next IYO? I am a bit perplexed because this is usually an easy coral.
frag off the dying part and take plenty of living flesh with it.

how do you guys frag your stonies, do you use a dremel with a diamond cutting blade, or a hacksaw, or a tile saw of you you just use a pair of side cutters and snap off a piece

how do you guys frag your stonies, do you use a dremel with a diamond cutting blade, or a hacksaw, or a tile saw of you you just use a pair of side cutters and snap off a piece

I use a couple different squeeze cutters and a table bandsaw (Gryphon Aquasaw).

Mr-X, you said that you don't dose but use water changes to keep your parameters in place. What% do you change every week?

I do about 10% per week (which equals out to 50 gallons give or take) and I use various salts. Oceanic, Reef Crystals, Red Sea Coral Pro, Seachem Reef, Kent, Coralife, etc. Generally, whatever is available and fairly cheap.

That's a major difference in our systems, both in the 500 gallon range. I am doing only 5% or 25 gallons every two weeks. To get away with this I run Purigen, bio-beads, algae scrubber and a big skimmer. I dose both cal and alk (home brew). You use four times as much salt and RO/DI water than I do, but your approach is much simpler. Seems to work for you very well. Simple is always good. Shows there are more than one way to build a successful reef system.

Last edited:
That's a major difference in our systems, both in the 500 gallon range. I am doing only 5% or 25 gallons every two weeks. To get away with this I run Purigen, bio-beads, algae scrubber and a big skimmer. I dose both cal and alk (home brew). You use four times as much salt and RO/DI water than I do, but your approach is much simpler. Seems to work for you very well. Simple is always good. Shows there are more than one way to build a successful reef system.

I wonder what the price differential is

Salt and water is cheaper than filtration, but sometimes both are necessary.

At an average of $50 for 200 gallons of salt mix, I am using a bucket of salt every 16 weeks. Or about $3.13 per week. Mr_X would be going thru $12.50 a week. I buy bio-beads and Purigen occasionaly, That adds up. My cal and alk are made from bulk materials that cost pennies. My guess it's about a draw.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom