driftwood and pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had some driftwood in a 29 gallon tank since March. It is covered with algae and the gouramis love it. I'm gonna break down this tank and use it as a QT when I set up my 180 gallon tank. The 180 will house Lake Malawi cichlids. I'd like to put the driftwood in the 180. Will the driftwood acidify the water even after being in this tank for several months? It is just 2 small pieces, one piece is 16 inches long and 3 inches at the base while the other is 10 inches long and 2 inches wide at the widest part. They are vertical pieces and they have rock bases.

I've been using 2 pieces of driftwood in my 125 gal cichlid tank andit hasn't affected my ph parameters, I think because the tank is large the small amount of driftwood hasn't made a difference.

Driftwood doesn't really lower the pH THAT much. It does slightly, but not if it's a 180 gal tank with 2 small pieces of wood. Maybe if the tank had loads of it in there, but yours won't. I'd say go with it. :D

dax29 said:
Will the driftwood acidify the water even after being in this tank for several months?

unlikely
if it has been soaked for several months, most of the tannins will have leached.

But it also depends on the size of the driftwood, it may take up to a year or more for all the tannins to leach.

A good way to check is to check your pH before and after the driftwood is in the water.
so, fill a bucket with declorinated water (test the pH and write it down)
put the driftwood in the bucket overnight (test the pH and write it down)

if there is no difference in pH, your driftwood is cured.

Back
Top Bottom