Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just cycled my 29 gallon tank During the cycling for those of you who know I was having major ph crashes it seems to be settling now the tank is cycled , I purchased a bushy nose pleco and I've read he requires driftwood , so I picked up a small nice piece of driftwood from my lfs , will this affect the ph and I've heard I have to boil the drift wood any suggestions is much appreciated ! TIA :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if driftwood affects ph.
Get the biggest pot you have, fill it with water and boil! Change the water after 10 min Of rapid boil and repeat until water runs clear. This works really well.

FreshwaterTropical said:
I'm not sure if driftwood affects ph.
Get the biggest pot you have, fill it with water and boil! Change the water after 10 min Of rapid boil and repeat until water runs clear. This works really well.

Thanks !!! Boiling now !!!

Normally driftwood lowers your pH. What I did to balance this out was through adding crushed coral in my filter media. Do some pH testing on the driftwood to compare to the pH of your tank.

Driftwood only lowers pH when leaching tannins, once the tannins are gone it won't affect pH

Also I've heard that my bushy nose pleco needs a piece of drift wood is this true ?

Hey I'm about to use some driftwood for the first time as well.

So boiling the driftwood gets rid of all tannin problems or will i still see some tannins?

And are tannins the only thing to worry about with driftwood? I don't think I'd mind water that isn't crystal clear...That's fine with me...I just don't want my fish to get hurt.

Fish24907 said:
Hey I'm about to use some driftwood for the first time as well.

So boiling the driftwood gets rid of all tannin problems or will i still see some tannins?

And are tannins the only thing to worry about with driftwood? I don't think I'd mind water that isn't crystal clear...That's fine with me...I just don't want my fish to get hurt.

Boil and replace the water several times until it is clear!!! Tannins will not hurt any fish, they only color the water. If it's real driftwood tannins are the only thing, if it is real wood but not driftwood. Then it will get moldy!

Boil and replace the water several times until it is clear!!! Tannins will not hurt any fish, they only color the water. If it's real driftwood tannins are the only thing, if it is real wood but not driftwood. Then it will get moldy!

I see.

And is there a benefit from driftwood to offset the slight disadvantage of it blurring your water (like I don't know, helping to soften the water for the fish or something) ? If not, why not just put random poly-resin ornaments in your aquarium and not bother with tannins at all?

Fish24907 said:
I see.

And is there a benefit from driftwood to offset the slight disadvantage of it blurring your water (like I don't know, helping to soften the water for the fish or something) ? If not, why not just put random poly-resin ornaments in your aquarium and not bother with tannins at all?

Certain plecos eat driftwood. If you don't want tannins just boil the driftwood?

FreshwaterTropical said:
Certain plecos eat driftwood. If you don't want tannins just boil the driftwood?

I've been boiling my piece of drift wood for the last two hours and I keep changing the water the water is still coming out a tea color how long do I boil it for ? It's a smaller piece of driftwood probably 12 inches long by 4 inches high . . . Any thoughts

Mikey214 said:
I've been boiling my piece of drift wood for the last two hours and I keep changing the water the water is still coming out a tea color how long do I boil it for ? It's a smaller piece of driftwood probably 12 inches long by 4 inches high . . . Any thoughts

I depends in the piece of wood. I have had some never leach more than a very light tea color over a full week and others that still blacken water after a few days.

Back
Top Bottom