Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
I depends in the piece of wood. I have had some never leach more than a very light tea color over a full week and others that still blacken water after a few days.

Very light tea color since I first boiled it

Mumma.of.two said:
I think you should just go for it! If its in the tank and you think it's still leaching too much for your liking just pull it out and boil again. :)

I have it sitting it hot water over night ! I'll most likely put it in tomorrow !

FreshwaterTropical said:
You can probably do 1 bushy nose pleco, if you keep up with double water changes!?!

You mean I can add 1 more busy nose pleco ? And what you mean double water changes ? Twice as much ?

Mikey214 said:
You mean I can add 1 more busy nose pleco ? And what you mean double water changes ? Twice as much ?

Well if you think You can handle it with more maintenance such as water changes like twice a week. Then do it. But you wouldn't need to do it.

Mikey214 said:

IME I wouldn't have more than one pleco of any kind even bn plecos. They can be very territorial, unless you have a really big tank but then I still wouldn't recommend it but that's just my experience, usually one will dominate and always pick on the other one!

Tigroscr said:
IME I wouldn't have more than one pleco of any kind even bn plecos. They can be very territorial, unless you have a really big tank but then I still wouldn't recommend it but that's just my experience, usually one will dominate and always pick on the other one!

Unless your good at sexing them I think you would be fine if you had a male and a female in the same tank. :)

Tigroscr said:

That's a bit of a blanket statement. What about plecos like pitbulls that like to be kept in groups? Personally I have 3 BNP (2M and 1F) in a 70g (3foot long, very deep) tank without any issues what so ever.

Mikey I think you can add one more making two. You don't have any other bottom dwellers do I think it will be fine. Make sure you have extra caves/hiding spots for them to claim territories and keep an eye on your levels.

Mumma.of.two said:
That's a bit of a blanket statement. What about plecos like pitbulls that like to be kept in groups? Personally I have 3 BNP (2M and 1F) in a 70g (3foot long, very deep) tank without any issues what so ever.

Yeah sorry I should have been more specific..... IME with common, sail fin and BN plecos two males does not a happy tank make. Your lucky that you don't have any issues with the 2 males and 1 female. I've always ended up having to separate my males and after doing research I found out why. I even had a common pleco and an African feather fin catfish together in a 75 gal and that didn't work either the pleco was always bullying my feather fin and hogging the food so I had to separate them too! :-(

Mumma.of.two said:
Mikey I think you can add one more making two. You don't have any other bottom dwellers do I think it will be fine. Make sure you have extra caves/hiding spots for them to claim territories and keep an eye on your levels.

Always keeping an eye on my levels , since I learned about these I always check now ! And what happens if I have one piece of drift wood in the tank ?

How do I find out the sex's ? Would a male and a female work in my 29 gallon tank ?

Mikey214 said:
How do I find out the sex's ? Would a male and a female work in my 29 gallon tank ?

Yes. Males have branching bristles all over their face and females have none or just a few like a mo. Very young ones (under 2 inches approx) wont have bristles. Make them a cave to hide in too.

If you get driftwood you should treat the driftwood or boil it for a few hours to get rid of the tannins and anything that could be in or on the wood. My Pleco seems to not go near the driftwood to much but who knows cause he only comes out at night so I only see him once in a while.

FreshwaterFishJunkie said:
If you get driftwood you should treat the driftwood or boil it for a few hours to get rid of the tannins and anything that could be in or on the wood. My Pleco seems to not go near the driftwood to much but who knows cause he only comes out at night so I only see him once in a while.

I did boil the driftwood on and off for a couple hours! Thanks for the heads up !

Back
Top Bottom