Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AnneOnAMountain said:
I live very close to a mountain lake, so have access to plenty of natural driftwood. Do you know what varieties are not recommended? Our forests are almost exclusively oak and maple.

All wood technically breaks down and rots in an aquarium, just what kind depends on how fast. Harder woods like mopani wood and Malaysian driftwood take longer to breakdown and lasts longer. Softer wood of course rots and breakdown faster.

I always wondered if anyone uses Cyprus in their tanks as its suppose to get stronger with water?

I Remember reading somewhere (cant find the link) that some of the chemicals released by Driftwood can help the fish by eliminating some harmful bacteria and mold. I forgot the explanation for it, but it help prevents fish from getting sick. Also alot of micro organisms use Driftwood as home, so small fish and inverts feed off organisms on the wood.

Driftwoods generally release tanins which is not harmful for fish instead its good for some. Dw is good for plecos to digest their food properly. And they love to hav one in their tank

Back
Top Bottom