Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuakingAspen

Aquarium Advice Activist
What preparations do you need to do to driftwood for it to be able to go into a tank. I want a piece for my 25 gallon for my clown pleco, and I can acquire a ton of driftwood because my family has a house on the lake, just want to know how to prepare it. :thanks:

boil it for a few hours and let it set in water if you do not want tannis aka tea water also called black water
it may take weeks

If your fingernail can be pressed into the wood it will rot.

Boil it for at least an hour to get any junk out of it.

Soak in a bucket for a while if you don't want a bunch of tannins. This may or may not happen with lake wood. I took a piece from my lake and got 0 tannins.

Sometimes you will get a buildup of white stuff on it. This is harmless just keep scrubbing it off it will go away.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Buy a bag of purigen for $10... who has patience to BOIL and soak wood for weeks ?? lol Plus I have had a my driftwood in my 55g for 2 years and it still leaches... So weeks is bar far way off if you ask me.... Not worth the effort when purigen removes all tannins in a day

I found a great stump with roots on the reservoir where I live.. I only boiled mine for like an hour simply to kill any parasites and stuff in the wood. Get a solid piece of old wood.. if you get one that's soft then itll just keep rotting

Back
Top Bottom