dry rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaMason

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 125g gallon that is about to be set up im just wondering how long i should let the tank run with just the rock and sand in it and if i need to add anything to the tank to get it to cure or if i have to cure it in a seperate place?(if it matters with no fish in the tank)

any tips are appreciated

You will need to add an ammonia source to start the cycle. a raw shrimp or two will work. People even use pure ammonia.

What on earth is a "live sand activator kit"?
Forget it, I just googled it. That is going to do nothing but waste your money.
Yes, you still need an ammonia source. Just got get a couple cocktail shrimp from the supermarket for a dollar and toss them in the tank.

Last edited:
No. If you want a sand bed, just buy the dry sand. Rinse it very well to remove the dust, and add it. It will become live on it's own eventually. I would do that before you add the ammonia source though. The bacteria colony you are creating with the ammonia will reside on surfaces. You want the sand to get covered with bacteria also.

cool and how long should the cycle be and is there anything i need to add other than ammonia while its cycling?

Nothing else needs to be added. A cycle can last a couple weeks to a month, give or take. Do you have liquid test kits? You will need to start testing in a couple/few weeks.

no i dont but i will by the time i put it together. i just need to get my dry rock and an upgraded filter and i can set it up. while its cycling is it nessecary to have a powerhead on it or can i wait till i put corals and fish in it?

I would be running a power head the minute you fill it with water and add your rock.
What type of filter are you considering for this tank?

im not sure of the brand but it is a canister filter that will push 525gph and has a uv in the filter. i have a 55g tank that is a sump but it is to much hassle to srill the tank and put in overflows and whatnot and ive heard to many horror stories of undrilled sumps overflowing. and thats what i thought but i figured itd be good to ask. so once the tank is cycled ill have to put crabs and starfish in right or can you put fish first?

AquaMason said:
im not sure of the brand but it is a canister filter that will push 525gph and has a uv in the filter. i have a 55g tank that is a sump but it is to much hassle to srill the tank and put in overflows and whatnot and ive heard to many horror stories of undrilled sumps overflowing. and thats what i thought but i figured itd be good to ask. so once the tank is cycled ill have to put crabs and starfish in right or can you put fish first?

The crabs and other small inverts are ok but you do not wanna add a star to the tank for about a year...with my tank I stocked all my crabs shrimp pods and snails before any fish or coral

Your cuc will depend somewhat on the kind of tank you'd like (peaceful community, reef, predator) and even then some fish and inverts eat eachother so you'll have to adjust accordingly

You don't need any snails or crabs or starfish to keep a salt water tank. the term "clean up crew" was created by vendors in order to sell livestock. I've kept reef tanks with little to no snails and crabs and they were algae free. It's all up to your husbandry.

Hi. I am in the same situation I am starting a 90 gallon tank with a 40 gallon refug. I put about 60 pounds of dry rock in it and 30 pounds of live sand in the refuge. I have about 70 pound of live rock in my 30 gallon that I'm going to switch over. Should I us the shrimp idea to. Are u talking shrimp I would eat.lol

Back
Top Bottom