Dumbest Aquarium advice you've ever been given?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day a chain store employee told me to use prime as a fertilizer when I asked for flourish comprehensive.

The other day a chain store employee told me to use prime as a fertilizer when I asked for flourish comprehensive.

Oh wow! Did you tell him next time he is thirsty the toilet is the best place to drink from?

An hour ago, after work, at local lfs: customer looking at a fish that grows 1 metre long- but would it have to grow that big? Like- if I had in a smaller aquarium (holds hands 2' apart) it would only grow to the size of the tank, wouldn't it?
Fish *expert*- of course- any fish will only grow to the size of the tank it's in.
Me (butting in like a rude so-and-so) yeah, but it won't be healthy stunting its growth like that, and it will have a much shorter lifespan.
*expert*- not at all, it's a natural phenomenon, and doesn't cause them any harm at all. Once you put them in a bigger tank they just start growing again.
Customer- yeah, that's what I thought, because my Oscar lives in a 2' tank and he's fine- I got him when he was 2" and now he's still only 5". Besides, fish don't live very long anyway.
OMG
I felt like saying, no- well they bloody well wouldn't under those conditions!

An hour ago, after work, at local lfs: customer looking at a fish that grows 1 metre long- but would it have to grow that big? Like- if I had in a smaller aquarium (holds hands 2' apart) it would only grow to the size of the tank, wouldn't it?
Fish *expert*- of course- any fish will only grow to the size of the tank it's in.
Me (butting in like a rude so-and-so) yeah, but it won't be healthy stunting its growth like that, and it will have a much shorter lifespan.
*expert*- not at all, it's a natural phenomenon, and doesn't cause them any harm at all. Once you put them in a bigger tank they just start growing again.
Customer- yeah, that's what I thought, because my Oscar lives in a 2' tank and he's fine- I got him when he was 2" and now he's still only 5". Besides, fish don't live very long anyway.
OMG

People only say they don't live long because they don't know proper care and end up killing the fish...

OMG

Wow, a case of the employee AND the customer being a nutcase. 2 wrongs don't make a right, lol. I'm pretty sure if it was a "natural phenomenon", people would be keeping fw sharks in as little as a 10 gallon LOL

OMG

Perfect example of stupid people feeding off of each others stupidity.

I was on a family trip last year to another hawaiian island and I was told that there was a tank in the car rental area. There was a 55 gallon saltwater tank with dead coral, a yellow tang, a zebra eel, a Hawaiian flag fish, a soldier fish, a damsel, and a dog face puffer. Terrible

If that wasn't bad enough, a near by pancake restaurant had a 35 gallon hexagon tank with some yellow tail damsels and a malnourished 8 line wrasse

my sister is in the process up upgrading her tank to a 55 shes very new at it and im helping her a lot but she was at a chain lfs and they were looking at the filters. one of the employees was trying to tell her that if she bought this 200$ canister filter she could put twice as many fish in! she asked me and i said no they are trying to get you to spend money

my sister is in the process up upgrading her tank to a 55 shes very new at it and im helping her a lot but she was at a chain lfs and they were looking at the filters. one of the employees was trying to tell her that if she bought this 200$ canister filter she could put twice as many fish in! she asked me and i said no they are trying to get you to spend money

I find this happens a lot. I will be casually talking about aquariums with someone, and they will say something like "the employee at the store said so"

Its like nails on a chalkboard to my ears -.-

i know haha i pretty much ignore the employees unless something is out of stock or they moved something. i go to petco so much that they know i know what im talking about and dont even try to get me to buy stuff because ive spent about 2 grand there just on tanks, filters, heaters, supplies, food and plants. i dont buy fish there and they know i wont ive even had them recommend me to go to another store and now its one of my favorite places lol

I like the blowing bubbles in the tank in prefer to oxygenate it was the best Xp

Especially the "every 15 minutes" part... Better not have anything to do all day every day! You are now a vital piece of aquarium equipment.

That's as bad as people who say to blow into shipping / transport bags to inflate them. I guess some people just don't stop to think that we breathe oxygen in and exhale carbon dioxide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom