Dusty water in established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

britishgokart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been struggling with a cloudy/dusty water problem for 2 months (since December 2014) in a tank that was set up in July 2014. The tank was fishless cycled for 2 months and was clear before this problem began.

The fish show no signs of stress or disease.

The problem has varied from very cloudy, milky white to now about 20% dusty with very visible suspended particles. The water is completely calm in the attached image, those specs are not bubbles.

The tank is planted, 40g with the following inhabitants:

2 angelfish
4 platy
1 molly
2 SAE
2 ghost catfish

Parameters are 0/0/5 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

Last week I added a fluval 306 filter to assist in filtration to my existing fluval 206 in an effort to solve the problem.

I attached a UV sterilizer 2 weeks ago which initially brought the water to crystal clear. However, about 3 days after that, the water began to become dusty and will not clear.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 136
Have you added anything new to the tank recently? Decorations, plants, etc? Do you use an air stone or anything? I had an air stone that caused micro bubbles. Once I turned it off the problem went away. I got rid of that one and the problem. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have not added anything and I do have an airstone that runs during the day.

The airstone kicks up the dust significantly. When the airstone is not running, the dust will eventually settle up near the top, especially on the surface of the water.

There are so many things it could be. Since your water parameters are all good I'm leaning toward aeration. It really sounds like micro bubbles. Perhaps bacterial bloom from something? I had that once too from over feeding. (Oops!) It didn't effect my cycle but it was there. You said it was happening before adding the 2nd filter so that doesn't sound like the issue. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

My old 206 filter tubing is very dirty. . Don't know if that could be the problem. .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424746257911.jpg
    1424746257911.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 78
That could be. It honestly looks to me like some sort of aeration issue. Either micro bubbles or could be dirty filtration. All problems that are normal. ? Try giving it a good cleaning, maybe next time you change you water. You could use the removed tank water to clean. Out of curiosity I googled your question. There are literally pages of what it could be. lol Good luck!

I discovered my dusty water post-cycle was due to a brand of fish food I had started using. Stopped using that brand and the particulates cleared up pretty quick. I added filter floss to help, and between the two, my water went back to crystal clear.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Back
Top Bottom