Dwarf cichlid community breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aandvfarm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can blue rams and apisto breed in the same tank? 75 gallon. Also, if so what other small species would breed together in a community tank with them? I want to breed different things all in one big tank

Rams like it hotter than most apisto will tolerate

It is hard to breed multiple species of cichlid in one tank especially when they covet the same space

You can create conditions where your fish want to breed. My cories and Bolivian rams are always throwing eggs. Research to find what works with temperature and then your water. Multiple species of dwarf cichlids could be a bunch of drama

Your success breeding multiple dwarfs will increase if you steal the eggs and artificially hatch them.
Apistos will raise their fry very well in the tank but rams for most part make lousy parents..Both like different temps..
Rams should really be 82+.

I've decided to put a pair of apistos in a 20 long, and rams in another 20 long. May skip the rams all together if there hard to breed. I'm fairly new at this, I've raised tons of guppies but that no real achievement. Lol. I have 2 pair of angels and never get a hatch after about 7 clutches of eggs from one pair.

Apistogramma can get hyper aggressive when breeding... even having the females kill the males. Rams can also get hyper aggressive, though they ussually co-parent. You would have to be cautious.

So with GBRs you could possibly do GBR and Apistogramma Caucatoides. With Bolivians there are many options with my favorite being Apistogramma Borelli (which has an insane temperature curve, in a year or so I plan on putting some in a pond).

Also, my GBRs in a community tank always eat their eggs. They freak out someone will eat their fry so eat them to keep the resources. They are at 80 Degrees F.

Back
Top Bottom