Dwarf Crayfish with Dwarf Puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captotterboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone.
My 10g is going to have 2-3 dwarf puffers.

Many people/websites say they will not bother adult RCS. Many people/wesbites say they will. So, I am going to try it with 1 or 2. If the RCS get eaten, oh well. Expensive snack and I will look at getting a couple Otos. If they don't get eaten, I may look into adding a few more.

Doing a little research last night I stumbled on Dwarf Crayfish. Anyone know if these are more or less compatible with Dwarf Puffers? In particular I am interested in the Orange and Cajun varieties.

Thanks

Yes, I had this combo for a while. Worked perfectly for me. Online they are really expensive, check your LFS first before you order any. The crayfish won't harm the puffers, the puffers are too quick for them. I have a lot of RCS with my 2 puffers and they all live in perfect harmony. Only thing is that the puffers eat all the baby shrimp that the adult shrimp make.

I am laughing at this question while I am typing it;

When you say "all" the baby shrimp... is there much hope that any will survive in a 10g planted tank? If not, it is no big deal. I will just have to replace them as the shrimp reach their life-span.

Also, is it just RCS that the puffers ignore or will they also ignore other colorful shrimp with similar care requirements?

Thanks Nils. You have helped out on a bunch of my questions.

In my own experience, dwarf puffers are complete motherlovers. They attacked everything in sight and nipped everything to death. I had a giant betta, I'm talking 4 inches head to tail, and a pair of puffers annoyed him to death. I eventually threw those puffers into my hamster cage watched them turn into hamster lunch. They would also eat all my betta and shrimp fry and rip limbs off dwarf crays.

Last week I put the Dwarf Puffers in the tank with some ghost shrimp to test if they would get eaten.
So far so good. I have watched the puffers occasionally curious about the shrimp but most of the time they move on. Every once in a while they will nip a fin or at a leg but nothing I would call predatory. If the ghost shrimp survive another week or two, I think I will put some more expensive inverts in the tank.

Last week I put the Dwarf Puffers in the tank with some ghost shrimp to test if they would get eaten.
So far so good. I have watched the puffers occasionally curious about the shrimp but most of the time they move on. Every once in a while they will nip a fin or at a leg but nothing I would call predatory. If the ghost shrimp survive another week or two, I think I will put some more expensive inverts in the tank.

Sounds good! When I say "all baby shrimp", I mean all! :( They don't let a single one slip. But that's from my own experience in a smaller tank with not a lot of hiding places (except plants) for the babies.

Haha, aggressive little bastards.

I put some MTS in there for them which is really funny because it means in the morning I am cleaning up the snail corpses from the night's massacre

Back
Top Bottom