Dwarf flag cichlids (laetacara dorsigera)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning to get a group of 6 juvie redbreast acaras in order to achieve a pair. The plan is either a 40 or 55 gallon tank with a pair of them and a pair of keyholes with some tetras, probably rummynose. Anyway, anyone with experience with laetacara dorsigera, especially in breeding, your advice will be greatly appreciated. Also, pictures of your dorsigeras would be great, as well as any indication of genders. Thanks!:thanks:

More aggressive than they're given credit for. I bought one of these and within a couple of days it was trying to take out my Hatchets and squabbling with a few other fish. I've seen them in LFS fighting quite nastily with each other also. I had a breeding pair of Curviceps that took out some small fish that got too close to their fry also. In my experience,( with the exception of the Blue Acara ) anything Acara based (big or small) has got a nasty side.
It's not saying they're unmanagable by any means, but don't be complacent with them, because for some reason lots of people seem to think they're totally peaceful.
The cichlids i would say are virtually no bother at all are Keyholes, Bolivian Rams and standard rams as long as you don't have two males in a small space.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It just so happens that I have all of the aforementioned species, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. That being said, would I be better off keeping them with dwarfs that could hold their own, such as kribs?

I think you can keep them with a lot of the fish mentioned without problems 99% of the time, you should be fine with Kribs also. Personally, what i would do is have a tank divider ready and (with any cichlid for that matter) be ready to divide them off when they show signs of breeding. It's always the safest bet.

Back
Top Bottom