Dwindling Shrimp Population

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jazzy cap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have the following setups: A 10 gallon tank with RCS and Malawa shrimp, a 10 gal tank with red rili and Malawa shrimp, a 5 gal tank with tangerine tiger shrimp, and a 10 gal tank with red-blue rili and green Babaulti shrimp. All of the tanks have a sponge filter and a hob filter with a filter cover on the uptake. I do a 20% water change biweekly using cold, aged water treated with Prime that has been heated using an extra aquarium heater before being added to the tank. There is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate, 7.6 pH, approx 78 degrees F. I feed them a variety of high quality food every other day in a glass feeding dish. All tanks have snails, (nerite and mts) and plants in them like Java fern, Java moss, moss balls, and guppy grass. However, my shrimp populations seem to be dwindling, despite seeing babies and no bodies! What can I do to increase my populations and improve water quality, if that is the problem? This is very frustrating! I love keeping dwarf shrimp( been doing so for approx 8 months) and will do whatever is necessary to improve their quality of life. I would appreciate any and all advice!

:thanks:
Jazzy cap

If you have an adjustable heater try raising the temp maybe 2 degrees. You can do the pwc weekly at 10% of the 2 degree lower temp to see if the slightly cooler water encourages them to want to breed.

Just a check... surely you do, but do you have female and male shrimp? Supplier/breeders sometimes send males and keep females for their breeding / sales.

Are their any fish, Plecos in with the shrimp?

Do you see molts from the shrimp?

Do you see the shrimp saddled?

My other thoughts would be to try some of the shrimp mineral ball or supplements with vitamins and amino acids, also Spirulina. There are a few amino acids and vitamin supplements. Betaglucan is supposed to ber very good for their health.

Perhaps getting them some extra vitamins and minerals would get them feeling like breeding. Just a thought.

Other wise I might do a few 30%-50% back to back water changes maybe in the course of one day to change up the water conditions and see if some new water would get them stimulated to breed.

Do you know your KH & GH and TDS?

Do you h

Back
Top Bottom