Ebay tanks and how many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone purchased tanks off of e-bay? I saw some that were priced above what you'd have to pay at the local Pet Smart or that online Dr. Foster's. Then, I have seen some deals that I think are awesome. Has anyone had experience with buying tanks from ebay?

Second, I really think I have my heart set on a 55 gal when I get a new tank. After researching types of fish from ones people mentioned in my previous thread and other threads I have read on, I was looking at having mollies, variatuses, and platys. I read that all three are supposedly compatible with each other. Then adding my golden AE into that mix since he needs a bigger home than the 10 gal.

I suppose what I want to know now is, how many fish of these kinds make for an ideal hold in a 55 gal? I have this fear of overpopulating, but on the same token (different side) I don't want to look at my 55 gal and see nothing but water.

I would say quite a bit since their relitivly small at maturity.

I would say go with atleast 7-10 of each species, altho I could be sorely mistaken.

I am a frequent flyer on ebay. I recommend that you just check the seller's profile carefully. I have over 300 transactions buying/sellling thus far and none of them have been really unpleasant, most of them have been excellent!

Shipping can be prohibitive sometimes however when buying tanks and other big items from private parties on ebay obviously.

Keep checking your local paper also Kerrine... that's where I get all of my great deals on used aquariums, and you don't have to pay shipping.

(My last one was a 1 year old 55 with custom solid oak stand, buckets full of powerheads and equipment, crushed coral, top, lights, magnum 350 for $200, found it in the local paper.)

I bought my last two cars on ebay, too. Where else are you going to get a loaded 2000 Grand Prix that looks like it rolled off the showroom floor for 7100 bucks or get a Tahoe for $2000 under wholesale list. Not locally I can tell ya that... :) hee hee!

Good luck!!!!!! Oh also good luck with your MTS! :D

Yeah, I used to be a very avid ebayer, but they didn't have the feedback stuff back then. ;) I have just now gotten back into it, because I collect dip pens, nibs, and ink wells now. Thank you for the advice, Snap! I will check my local paper too as that never even crossed my mind!

William...if 7-10 each is ok, then I should be pretty close. I was thinking of putting the following in the 55 gal and then make my 10 gal my "tetra tank" as I have this affinity for the little tetras.

55 gal
Qty- Type of Fish- Max "
1 Golden Algae Eater 6-8 depending on where you read it
3 Giant Danios 4
2 Dalmation Mollies 5
4 Rainbow Platies 3
2 Black Sailfin Mollies 5
2 Blue Variatus 3
4 Mixed Balloon Body Mollies 4
2 Sunset Hifin Variatus 3
1 Punctatus Cory 2.5

10 gal
Qty- Type of Fish - Max "
2 Buenos Aries Tetras 2.5
3 Kerri Purple Tetras 2.5
1 Brown Bumblebee Cat 2
2 Black Phantom Tetras 1.4
2 Small Cardinal Tetras 1
2 Green Fire Tetras 1
2 Lemon Tetras 1.5

*Kerinne*

I paid $213 for a fully loaded 55 on Ebay... and never got it. Yep, that's right. I think it had more to do with the shipping and the fact that the seller sold through a friend's account. But I was ticked off...

I would not advise getting tanks on ebay, unless they're acryllic and small, or from a wholesaler like "Seaclear." The tank is likely to be broken in transit, or to not show up. Most ppl on ebay refuse to ship their tanks (you'll see "local pick-up *only*" written in most of the auctions) because of these reasons. I now agree! If you see a great tank locally on Ebay, get it. Otherwise, as the others have said, check those local listings!

My best find (not a tank) was a $150 futon and frame for free(!) locally. As long as I moved it, the woman was more than happy to get rid of it. Now my roomy sleeps on it.

Sweet, huh?

Kerrinne,

I am also a frequent flyer on Ebay. You have a great ebay wholesaler in Atlanta. The seller name is (ebaeseller). They Specialize in new aquariums and the start at no reserve. I have seen many a good deal from this seller. unfortunately I am too far away from Georgia, or I would have my really big tank already. I have purchased smaller items from this seller, powerheads etc. and had no problems. They are a "Power Seller" and have over 3500 positive feedbacks.

Oh, angelstiger. Thank you! I will check that seller out. :) I can always get my dad and his pick up truck to pick up an aquarium.

By the way, about your second question on the number of fish. If you do frequent water changes then you can put a lot, as these are usually small fishes. As you can see from my profile, I have around 26 organisms in the planted tank, no problems so far (fingers crossed). :wink: I change water weekly and vaccum gravel as well.

If you want platies and mollies, remember males are more colorful (especially in platies and sword tails), and the fancier the less hardier. If you buy a really fancy molly, keep in mind it's likely to be less tolerant of bad water. So for stocking I would suggest putting the fancier color ful ones last. :roll:

Also consider sword tails. They are really lovely and vibrant fish. And mollies are fun as well, especially silver or dalmatian mollies. If you have male/female the courting scene (when they chase each other all over the tank) is a scene to see. :lol:

Thanks ducas! I just stumbled across the sword tails last night and was going to ask here about them as signs seemed to indicate they were agreeable with mollies, variatus, and platies. :) After looking at some of their pictures, I think I must be sure to get some sword tails.

Back
Top Bottom