Eclipse catfish in a community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nshepler

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so I've been looking through forums and I can't find anything that really helps me. So here's my problem. I have this eclipse catfish and he is currently in my cichlid tank. I want to redo my cichlid tank and I'm wondering if I can move the eclipse catfish to a larger community tank with neons, zebra danios, and some other small fish like that. I'm worried about him eating the smaller fish, he's not very aggressive but he is quite large and I'm not willing to risk my little guys haha. So if someone could please help me out id appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Google to see what tank mates it can have, sorry I can't be of much help

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Yea I've tried that, and I've got mixed answers. Some say it will eat anything that can fits in it's mouth. Then others say it's good for a community.

Yea I've tried that, and I've got mixed answers. Some say it will eat anything that can fits in it's mouth. Then others say it's good for a community.

The Eclipse Cat (Horabagrus brachysoma) will eat itty bitty fish like Neon Tetras, Zebra Danios, etc... When people say they've been kept in a community tank they're likely referring to keeping them with very large fish. If you do Infact put him in that tank with the smaller fish i can basically guarantee an empty tank after one night!

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha, okay thank you.

Hungry Hungry Hippo

Do not put the eclipse in with community fish. They eat everything. In a matter of 4 days mine consumed 3 Odessa barbs and 4 Buenos Aires tetras. The have insatiable appetites and will eat anything that even comes close to fitting in their mouths. The only fish mine hasn’t eaten is my Bichir, Pleco, and xl Silver Dollar.

Back
Top Bottom