Eel Experts Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

Just need some advice from my fellow eel experts..

Have been a little quiet on here for the past few months but I have not neglected the tanks.

My snowflake eel has gone into what I believe is a "hibernation period". He has not eaten for nearly 3-4 months now. I do not think he is sick because he has not lost any VISIBLE weight, although Im finding it strange because this is an eel that ate every second night.

Now, we dont know everything about this wonderful species but am wondering if anyone has experienced such a prolonged period?

I'll answer the obvious questions..

Water parameters are fine, and by fine I mean fine. All other tankmates are fine and are not having eating problems.

Any thoughts/suggestions/feedback, feel free to chime in.

Cheers,

Matt

Hey Matt, They are nocternal feeders, have you tried feeding him at night?

From the sounds of it the answer is "no", but has the eel's appearance changed at all. Faded colours? Heavier breathing? Behaviour changes?

Jess

His "snowflakes have faded from black to grey, unsure though if this is attributed to its growth or some sort of problem.

I feed at night, he has made no attempt to take food.

My snowflake (who I've had for almost 2 years now) also went into a "hibernation" mode for about 2-3 months, where he would only eat about once a week, and eat very little when he does. His activity was also a lot less, though I didn't notice any changes in his color.
But out of the blue and for whatever reason, he suddenly woke up and seems back to his normal self again (appetite and activity). I can recommend patience, and try mixing up his meal variety until he bites more. Mine won't touch silversides anymore, but loves to feast on krill!

Back
Top Bottom