Elecrtic Blue Acara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beard514

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I recently purchased two Electric Blue Acaras. They are both about an inch long so they are still fairly young. I have been having difficulties though getting them to eat. Whatever I try and feed them they attack it quickly, swallow it, and then spit it out about 5-10 seconds later. I have tried to feed them Omega One cichlid food, frozen blood worms/mysis shrimp/ cichlid blend, and another Omega One flake food and the spit out all of it.

The tank is a 30 Gallon well established, heavily planted, and I do a 40% w/c every other day. Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia is all at zero PPM. Lastly, the two cichlids are the only fish in the tank.

Any advise will be appreciated!

Chris

I have 2 baby 1.5" long EBA as well and they eat everything. Their parents also eat everything. Have you tried frozen food? do the fish look like they are losing weight?
You may also consider putting other fish in there.

It is their nature to spit food out I believe..It is their version of chewing as I understand?
If the fish are mot getting skinny they are eating...

Unfortunately, it does seem as if they are loosing weight. I have tried both frozen and flake food. I have given them frozen blood worms, mysis shrimp, and a cichlid blend. I purchased some brine shrimp last night and they did swallow it! So I will be feeding them that until they gain some weight.

I feed my 6 month olds a 1.5mm pellet food that they eat like no tomorrow.
I have over 400 of them !
Some food hits the bottom ,but they don't let it stay there long.
Any signs of disease? Often internal parasites will cause thinning/wasting....

There isn't any sign of disease on their outer appearance. Their fins are flawless. The female I have seams to have a disorder with her mouth though. the very edge seems to be nicked.

With nothing to be visually wrong with their fins I am thought there may be something wrong internally. When I do put in food they seem very interested and eat it. But it seems as if they are having difficulties swallowing. So maybe constipation? I tried to give them peas but the male only ate a very small piece.

Back
Top Bottom